Chapter twelve: Emma

"Why didn't we speak to Linc? Why didn't they let us talk to him?" Max asked, tears welling in her eyes.

"He wasn't there, M. He wasn't there." I held her and rocked her slowly, trying to comfort her. But I didn't know how. I was confused, and angry, and so, so tired.

I needed to stop believing in him.

I needed to move on with my life.

I needed to stop letting my brother rule my world. His promises meant nothing. His promises were ruining my life.

He was ruining my life.

I would be fine without him. I didn't need him. I didn't need anybody. The only person I needed was the girl in my arms right now.

I wanted to talk to someone about this. I couldn't talk to Max because I didn't want to upset her. I couldn't talk to Amelié and Louis because they wouldn't understand.

I picked up the phone to message her and the fluttering in my chest returned the way it did when I thought of her.

I wondered if Lincoln ever felt this way about someone. I wondered what it meant. I wondered why it was her.

And I wondered what happened afterwards.

~*~

I ran out to meet her and she smiled, but it faded when she saw the expression on my face.

"What's the matter?" She asked.

"I'm sorry to call you like this." I said, instead. "I just needed...someone."

She nodded, confused.

I wiped away the tears that slid down my cheeks and forced myself to smile. Stop making a fool out of yourself, Emma. I scolded.

A hand clasped around mine and squeezed. I looked at her and smiled properly.

"Whenever you're ready." She said, softly.

The tears bubbled and the control I had burst as I sobbed. Stop feeling sorry for yourself. I scolded. He's made his decision and it's time for you to get a grip and move on.

I shook my head, looking up at Linda and blinking away the worthless tears.

"I'm never going to see my brother again." I whispered.

"Why not?"

"He hates me. He won't even answer the phone. He doesn't care about us."

"I'm sure that's not true." She soothed.

"It is. He's had loads of opportunities to get his act together and see us. Loads. He just doesn't want to. If he did, he would be here by now." I scowled.

She was silent. Good. She didn't understand. No one understood.

Least of all

me.

~*~

I always ran away from my problems, yet I always ended up exactly where I started. I was running and running without getting anywhere and without a destination in mind. It was tiring.

I stopped the treadmill and got off, brushing off the sweaty strands of hair that caressed my face.

I hated my brother. He was a liar. He had made promises and broken them just as easily.

Everything will be ok. He said. I'll take care of it. He said.

But it wasn't and he didn't.