Chapter 12

I was standing in front of my former workplace a few weeks later.  I was so scared to go in but i needed my job back. Making coffee was the only thing i was good at.

A jingle from the cafe door opening broke me from my thoughts. A lady walked out and politely smiled at me as she walked past. I smiled back, took a deep breath and walked in.

The door jingled as i opened it, a little too loudly i guess seeing as everyone turned to look at me. I lowered my head and shuffled my feet towards the counter when my old coworker Karen was working.

When i got to where she was,  she looked up at me and gasped, "Jenny!" she gasped and ran across the counter, pulling me into a big hug that I returned.

"Oh my god, We were so worried about you. How are you? How have you been?" she asked, her short red hair in pig tails and her blue eyes wide. Freckles were scattered across her face and shoulders and I couldn't help but feel like poop when i was around her. She was so pretty. I was the complete opposite.

"I've been okay," i spoke shrugging my shoulders, "I had a little uh, emergency but I'm okay now." i smiled nervously and tucked my hair behind my ear.

Karen didn't really look satisfied with my answer but she didn't pry. I respect that she wasn't pushing me for answers.

"On a scale of 1 to 10, how mad do you think Mr Mattias is with me?" I laughed nervously as I caught his glare from inside his office.

Karen shook her head, "He's just upset that you blew him off by not answering his calls but I'm sure he'll understand if you give him good reasons."

I nodded but I don't think I can explain myself to him. I don't want him to look at me with pity. I didn't need it. An angelic giggle caused me to look behind me.

I regretted that decision immediately.

A tall girl, strawberry blonde curls to her waist, sparkling blue eyes and a perfect smile was serving a table.  I had never seen her before. I turned to Karen.

"My replacement?"

"Yup. Josi."

Now, I took a double take for a different reason when I looked over again. The person she was serving was Jake and she was smiling and giggling a lot. There were three other people with him but her smile was directed at him. Just Jake.

It made my heart squeeze in pain just a little.

"I really don't like her," Karen spoke, "but I've learned not to judge even if she is incredibly rude."

I didn't answer, I was staring at Jake. He was smiling polietly but it seemed forced a bit like he was tired of the conversation but didn't know how to say it. That made me feel a little better.

Stawberry blonde continued smiling and talking like a princess. Didn't she have something else to do? I pulled my gaze away from them and faced Karen.

"Let me go talk to Mr Mattias and settle this."

"Go ahead," she smiled, "My shift will be done in ten minutes so when you're done we can walk together. If that's alright with you?"

I smiled, "I would like that."

She waved and went back to her post. I cast a look back at Jake's table again, strawberry blonde was sitting next to him now and Jake looked really tired. Tired of her constantly running mouth and he looked exhausted as well.

I pulled my gaze away and went to my manager slash owners office. I knocked and the grunt I heard from the inside was the signal to enter.

When he saw me, he rolled his eyes, "You're still fired."

"I just wanted to explain myself."

He removed his glasses and rubbed his eyes and temple tiredly, "There's nothing to explain, Jenny."

"There is sir. I was going through a hard time and–"

"Then you should have asked for a leave. I never over work my staff, Jenny and you know that. If you were going through a hard time then you should have requested for a leave. But you didn't."

"I know sir but i–"

"And when I tried to call your cellphone, you didn't pick up. It may not seem like it but we were worried about you Jenny, I was worried. You were a great addition to this workplace but you lost that when you disappeared. I got someone else to replace you because we needed a hand. You can't just come back whenever you want and expect your job handed back to you in a silver platter because what about Josi? What will she do then if I fired her to give you your job back? It wouldn't be fair."

He was right. It wouldn't be fair. I felt tears gather at my eyes. I was too late. I heard Mr Mattias sigh and I heard his chair scrape against the floor as he stood up. I felt his hand on my shoulder and looked up at him to see his eyes softer.

"I'm so sorry Jenny but I can't give your job back."

I sniffed, "It's okay Mr Mattias. I understand."

"But whenever we need an extra hand I'll be sure to contact you, just please answer your phone, okay? All this could have been avoided with simple communication."

"I will. Thank you."

"You're a good person kid. Have a nice day." he opened the door for me. I thanked him as I walked out. I guess I deserved not getting my job back. It was my fault. Only if I wasn't so broken. I crashed into Karen who had the biggest grin.

"How did it go?"

I shook my head and shrugged. Her smile fell. "Really? He didn't give you your job back?"

I shrugged, "I understand why he didn't though. It was my fault. I never should have left so abruptly and now I've been replaced. He said he didn't need an extra hand right now."

"Aww. Sweetie, There are far better places to work. I'll help you look."

"You'll do that?" I was surprised.

"Yep." She laughed, "What are friends for?"

Friends.

I liked the sound of that.

I smiled back at her genuinely and my eyes sparkled with tears. I pulled her into a hug and she was suprised because she knows I wasn't one for physical contact but she hugged back anyway.

Maybe I wasn't so lonely anymore.

A new friend.