Chapter 16

Today, I was going to look for job. I dressed in my warmest jacket and set out of the house looking for a place to work. I wasn't really sure my old boss would call me back to work there as long as Josi was still there.

Instead, I figured I'll do this on my own and look for a job like a responsible human being. I entered some restaurants asking if they needed an extra hand. I got a chance for interviews and others didn't even give me a chance.

I saw a unisex boutique that was hiring and I hurriedly rushed in.

"Hey, you're hiring?" I asked

The woman or can I say girl looked down at me with a sneer on her lips,  "We are. Who are you?" I was a little taken aback by her behavior. But I rolled it off my back for the sake of the job.

"I'm Jenny McCarthy. Nice to meet you."

"Liv." She rolled her eyes and brought a form for the store and placed it in the counter. "Fill this form and return it tomorrow no later that 8 am."

"Okay. Gotcha." I grabbed the form and put it in my bag with a smile, "Thank you."

Liv just gave me a once-over again scoffing. I nodded and left the store. I could see myself working there. Depending on the pay that is. I pulled out my phone and dialed Karen's number.

"Hi Karen"

"Hi sweetie. What's up?"

"You wanna grab coffee or ice cream." I spoke, "I'm out right now so do you wanna grab something together?"

"Oh, of course. Please." Karen said sounding excited, "I'm out in like 5 minutes so where do you wanna meet up?"

"I'm at the mall so I'll be waiting at the foodcourt."

"Oh okay. I'll be there soon. Bye."

"Bye."

I sat down there with my phone and headphones in. I thought about ordering something but I think I'll just wait for a while. Sitting there, I recognized someone. It was Mac, Jakes friend.

I wanted to say hi but lack of courage didn't allow me so I sat still looking at my wrist. Until a face appeared in front of me startling me so bad that I fell from the seat.

"Oh are you alright?" I looked up and I was looking at Shane, Mac's boyfriend, Troy's brother and one of Jakes friend's.

"I'm fine." I said but I couldn't say it without glaring at Shane because he was laughing. Loudly.

Mac appeared, hitting the back of Shane's head and helping me off the floor. Both of us then glared at him together.

"Apologize." Mac said.

"I'm sorry. I'm sorry." He said between wheezes. He calmed down. "I'm sorry I really didn't mean for you to fall."

I let my glare fall, "It's alright. How are y'all doing?"

"We were just shopping." Mac said excitedly.

"She forced me to tag along." Shane rolled his eyes gesturing to the number of bags he was holding. She smiled and tapped his cheeks.

"Wanna join us?" Max offered.

She looked at Shane who was shaking his head frantically and mouthing. 'Save yourself'. I giggled at that and politely declined.

"Wish I could. But I'm waiting for my friend."

"Ooooh, is it Jake?" Shane said wiggling his brows. He plopped down on the seat in front of me, "we know you two ran off together that night. Tell us the juicy details."

I rolled my eyes, "we didn't run off together. He wasn't feeling too well."

"So y'all went back to your apartment? Huhhhh?"

"Shut up Shane." Mac scolded her boyfriend. "Stop teasing her. Do you want us to keep you company while you wait?"

"No please. Don't let me stop you from doing... Oh, she's here." I waved my hand in the air to grab her attention. She saw and quickly came over.

"Hi Jenny. Oh Hi Mac. Hi Shane. What's up?"

"We're good." Mac beamed and Karen sat down with us.

"Baaaabe my hands hurts." Shane whined gesturing at the bags he was still holding. Karen and I laughed. I almost felt bad. Almost. But he made me fall off my seat. I stuck my tongue out at him when no one was looking and he glared at me.

"Alright alright. Let's go to the car." Mac said rolling her eyes. She turned to us, "Ladies we have to go now but we should definitely hang out sometime. See ya."

I waved, "bye" they left with Shane struggling to say goodbye with his hands full.

"Alright girl," Karen began, "you look so good today."

"You look great too."

"What have you been up to?"

"Well I've been job hunting."

"How did it go?"

"Eh.. could have been better. Most stores weren't hiring. Others pay isn't too good." I pointed at that boutique I entered, "I tried that store and the lady inside was nothing but snobbish. It dampened my spirit a little."

"Well don't let that happen. That store needs you more than you need it so it would be a shame if they don't hire you. Also don't let girls like that intimidate you. Or anyone for that matter."

"Thanks Karen. You always know what to say."

"Sure girl. We're friends aren't we?"

"Yeah we are."  I laughed. Loving the feeling of talking and laughing and having fun with another person. Come on. "Let's go buy a coffee."

The day was fun and I was happy. There was this feeling at the back of my mind that told me that this happiness wasn't going to last long but I tried to suppress the depressing feeling.

Let's gooooooooo
Felt the urge to scream that lol
Anyway thanks for reading