Chapter 17

I just came out of the shower and was about to watch a little Netflix when I heard something outside my door. I looked at the door curiously. Obviously, it was locked but the paranoia was still there.

It was evening and the sun was still shining but there was someone or something out there. I could feel it. I gathered the courage to look through the peep hole. I search through the small hole and found nothing until I saw someone in a hoodie pass by the door. I noticed the blonde hair and my heart stopped in my throat. I stumbled back knocking over my lamp, trying to calm my racing heart.

My stepfather.

My stepfather.

He was here. He was here to kill me .

My breathing became heavier and heavier. I was having a panic attack. I heard a knock on the door and I screamed running into my bedroom, grabbing a glass vase from the counter on my way and hiding inside my small closet.

Tears were streaming down my face and I prayed under my breath to the God Jake talked about. I begged him to save me and not let my stepfather hurt me.

There was a bang on my bedroom door and I jumped. I couldn't hear anything but my beating heart. I was so scared. I couldn't breathe. Tears were running down my face. I didn't want to die.

Not like this.

The closet door was yanked open and I threw the vase at my stepfather. It broke on his head and he yelled in pain. I tried to get away from him but I stumbled and fell. I stood up and ran into the kitchen grabbing a kitchen knife. I turned back to the room but what I saw made my heart fall.

Jake.

"Jake!" I ran to him and tried to help him but I didn't know what to do. There was so much blood, "Oh God. Jake! What have I done? Oh God what have I done?" I burst into tears, "Oh my God l'm so sorry Jake. I'm so sorry."

I tried to wipe the blood away with my sleeves but it just kept coming and coming. I grabbed my phone blindly and called 911 and immediately they said they were on their way.

Jake was still awake but I knew he couldn't see me. His entire face was matted in blood and I could tell he was losing consciousness. "Jake I'm sorry. I'm so sorry." I was crying. What have I done?

The paramedics burst into my apartment because my door was already open and they tried to helped him, pushing me back. I stood there with my blood stained clothes feeling the most guilt I've ever felt in my life. What was I thinking?

I hurt Jake.

I hurt the only person who cared for me.

What is wrong with me?

I watched as they took him into an ambulance and I wanted to follow but I couldn't bare to look at him. I couldn't bare to look at myself. It was my fault. I'm so stupid.

I thought it was my stepfather. I thought he was coming to kill me. Oh god. Tears streamed down my cheeks.

My feet walked a familiar route and I couldn't stop myself. The voices were back reminding me of how it was my fault.

Telling me that he wouldn't want to see me anymore.

I walked the route and I felt the presence of my father. I looked down into the freezing water below but I couldn't bring myself to do it. I couldn't bring myself to jump.

Now when I looked down into that freezing dark water, I couldn't see my father beckoning for me to jump down and meet him instead I saw a smile and eyes that made me feel warm and happy and fuzzy and calm.

I saw Jake laughing and teasing me.

I saw Jake tickling me and hugging me.

I saw Jake kissing my forehead and cheek.

I saw Jake telling me that everything was going to be okay.

I stumbled away from the bridge shaking my head. I wasn't good to jump. I wasn't going to hurt Jake more but I wanted the pain I was feeling to go away. I wanted my pills. I wanted to be happy but I wasn't anywhere near home so I couldn't get my pills instead I searched for a sharp rock or broken glass on the ground and I found one.

I relapsed.

Tearing my arms and thighs. Wincing at the sharp pain but feeling better seeing my blood drop. Hoping it's enough for the innocent blood Jake had shed because of me. I felt lightheaded soon after and collapsed surrounded by my blood.
.
.
.

I woke up to white ceilings and a metallic disinfectant smell like substance and certain beeping sounds. I opened my eyes and found that I was in the hospital. I sat up in alarm and looked around in confusion and shock. How did I get here? Hearing my heart monitor beeping so fast, nurses burst into the room all checking my vitals.

A certain nurse introduced herself as Mary and began asking me questions on how I feel. I didn't say much and she told me I had lost a lot of blood until a nice fellow showed up and brought you me in. Who was that?

She also recommended me to someone I could seek help from but I just looked away. She sighed and told me to rest but I stopped her.

"Jake? Is there a Jake that was just admitted a few hours ago."

"Jake?" She thought, "oh yes. We have a patient with that name brought in a couple of hours ago."

I breathed. I was scared I ask but curious at the same time, "Is.. Is he alright?" I asked in a small voice.

"Yes miss. He's stable for now and most probably awake but he's lost blood. The glass that hit him was most likely thrown with so much force at a close proximity. I looked at my feet at that comment, the guilt eating me away. Tears gathered at the brim of my eyes and the nurse politely excused herself and left the room.

I looked at my arms and thighs and felt so dirty inside that the cleanest, most effective soup could not wash the grime away. I burst into tears and curled into myself.

Then I made the decision to go see him. I stumbled out of the bed and left the room on my way to go see Jake, I saw the nurse that was attending to me and she rushed to my side when she saw me.

"Did you need anything? You're not supposed to be wandering around."

"Jake. I need to see my friend. I need to see he's alright."

"Oh. You should have just said so." She rushed and brought a wheelchair and ushered me into it. She wheeled me to the receptionist and asked for Jake's room number.

I was wheeled there and when we were at his door. I asked to be excused and the nurse left. I stood up from the wheelchair and shakily opened the door.

Jake was laying down there with bandages all around his face. I cover my mouth to stop the sob that was coming out and he lifted his head to look at me.

I entered the room, shutting the door behind me, sliding down to the ground. I broke down in tears. I looked at Jake and saw him staring at me. There were bandages wrapped all around his face so he couldn't really speak but I could see him gesturing for me to come closer.

I shook my head, "I'm so sorry Jake. I'm so sorry." I cried.

"P-please." I heard him mumble before hissing in pain. I rushed over to his side immediately.

"Please don't speak. You'll hurt yourself." I was wiping the tears from my face when he caught my hand and interlocked our fingers. I stared at him with my clouded eyes, struggling to breathe but when I looked in his eyes I didn't see any trace of anger or hate. Instead I saw –dare I say it– love.

"Y-you should hate me." I sobbed, "I hate me. Look at what I did to you."

He looked at the bandage wrapped all around my arm and gently placed our interlocked hands on his chest right above his heart. I broke down on his chest while he stroked my hair with his other hand. I didn't understand why he didn't hate me.

With everything I was feeling, it didn't take me too long to fall asleep.

So Information...
Wattpad changed my book to Mature so we're gonna have to live with that.
Love you all.