Chapter 27

Early in the morning, a knock sounded in our hospital door and woke me up from sleep before the doctor walked in but paused when he saw Jake beside me on the bed.

"Oh, wow. When I said you could stay the night, Mr. Parker, this wasn't what I had in mind." The doctor chuckled.

"Well, you know how bad my insomnia is doctor, you should be dancing for joy that I did get some sleep." Jake said and I jumped at the sound of his voice not knowing he was awake. I looked at his face and a smile tore through his lips as he looked at me.

"Morning, Jenny." He spoke and I tried not to pay attention to his tired droopy eyes or his soft hair littered all around his face. He looks so beautiful when he wakes up from sleep and I wondered just how much of an eyesore I looked like at the moment.

I watched as the doctor wrote down some vitals as he stared at the screens that littered the room. I smiled at Jake, "Good morning Jake, Did you get enough sleep?"

He gave a motion with his head that said kind of, "30 minutes to an hour maybe , I've been awake for a while now."

"Why didn't you wake me up? I would have kept you company."

Jake sat up and rubbed his eyes before looking at me with a sexy smirk, "is that an actual question?" He kissed me on the forehead, got down from the bed and swaggered into the bathroom still rubbing his eyes. I knew he was tired and it broke my heart that I couldn't do anything about it.

"Mr. Parker," the doctor began pulling my attention to him, "good kid but just as messed up as the rest of us."

"You know Jake personally?" I asked suddenly intrigued by the comment.

"Yeah, he's best friends to my boys, Shane and Troy, you should know of them." I nodded finally noticing some resemblance between the twins and the man in front of me. The doctor took my wrist and started feeling around for my pulse but he didn't stop talking, "I've known him since forever.  His parents were a pain in my butt always asking me to go to church with them, especially his mother but they were my only friends back in high school so I went with them just because they would be there and keep me company." He chuckled at the memory.

"When they had Jake they were so happy and everyone fell in love with the kid with the hazel eyes because he was a polite, Christian kid. Very optimistic. Didn't know how to say no, you know? But then his mom died when she had his brother Lucas and before you know it was just Jake, his dad and his baby brother that didn't meet the mom. Jake was just 9 then."

I gasped at that, tears welling in my eyes. I didn't know any of this.

"Jake and his brother spent most of their time in our house, my wife happily babysat them and Shane and Troy had someone to play with, you know because their dad had to work. And Jake's dad was getting better after losing his wife, he was going to therapy, spending time with his kids whenever he got the time and he never failed to take them to church...but uh on his way back home from work one day, his brake failed and he crashed into a tree, dying on the spot." The doctor had pulled a chair next to her bed now, telling her this story like it was an old folklore.

"When I received the news that my best friend had passed away I had never felt such... pain in my entire life,   I lost my best friend almost 2 year ago and losing another one was too much to bear. When I told Jake about this, do you know what that 11 year old kid, because he was 11 at the time and Lucas was two, do you know what Jake told me?"

I shook my head, wanting to know and the doctor laughed a short laugh like what Jake had said still bothered him till this day.

"He told me "he's with mama now and they're with God. Everyone is happy together." I didn't even know when I started crying in my room like a baby. A grown man like me burst into tears at an 11 year olds words. I knew from then on that Jake wasn't like the rest of these kids this days. He was special. And when he was 14 and told me that that he wanted to live in his parents house with his little brother who was 5. I didn't have the heart to tell him no because Jake was the most responsible child that I knew.