Chapter 25

Today, I was watching TV with Lucas when Mac walked through the front door. Lucas smiled brightly when he noticed her and walked over to give her a hug. For a twelve year old, he did act like a four year old right now. I guess they were really close.

"Hey Lucas. How you doing?"

He signed something back and she scrunched her face, "This much sass for nothing. Your turning into a little brat aren't you."

Lucas signed something back and Mac gasped.

"Lucas Parker! You get back here right now."

I walked into the room to say hi. Mac pulled me into a big hug, "What's up girl? How are you?"

"I'm good. What are you doing here?"

"Jake called me. He told me you guys needed help to get to the station."

"The police station?" My heart hammered at that. Jake walked down, he kissed my temple before turning to Mac.

"Hey Mac. You got here early."

"Yeah I was just around the neighborhood. If you'll excuse me I have to go smack your brother for being a brat to his best babysitter ever. Just holla when your ready to go." She said and chased after Lucas.

I turned to him confused, "We're going to the police station?"

"Yes Jenny. I forgot to tell you sooner, I'm sorry but you have to go give a statement. Tell the police everything that happened from the beginning to the end so they know just how seriously to take this case." He spoke, "this can only push us in the right direction."

So that how we ended up driving to the station in a downpour. Jake didn't want to wait till the sun came out in the morning so we were driving at night. Jake and I agreed to give them a statement of what happened and report him officially to the police. I didn't think it was enough but Jake thought that was the best thing to do at that moment. I trust him.

Mac was with us too, because her dad is a police officer so she was going with us to show the severity of the situation. She didn't know the whole story but she knew that I was trying to get away from someone because that was what Jake and I agreed to tell her. I was super thankful she was coming with us anyway. She distracted me from the tenseness of the situation by telling us funny stories of Shane, making us laugh. Laughter was a good release. Jake's palm rested on my thigh as we drove and I couldn't help interlacing our fingers. I'm so happy he's here for me and I'm glad I'm not doing this alone. Insomnia is still a problem but it looked like he's getting better. He tends to fall asleep up to ten times a day, it doesn't last long though. Five to fifteen minutes and he's up, looking a little better and energized.

Jake pulled into the stations parking lot and we got out. The rain was still pouring hard so he put his Jacket above I and Mac's head to cover us. When we got in, Mac disappeared into a room in the station and Jake and I sat still. My heart was thundering in my chest. I was scared. I didn't know if I was supposed to talk. Talking is snitching. I mean what will my stepfather do when he finds out I ratted him out to the police. I'm sure he wouldn't like that.

"Hello, I'm officer Anthony, Mac's father. It's always nice to meet her friends." Mac's dad was huge. Gigantic even. His arms were like guns and his shoulders broad and he looked very intimidating in the police uniform. The only thing that wasn't causing me to pee my pants was the fact he was Mac's dad and he was wearing glasses, like, Clark Kent type glasses. Now that I think about it he did look like a black Clark Kent. Police officer at day, Superman at night.

I actually chuckled at that and met his hand that was extended for a handshake, firmly shaking. "Hello Sir, I'm Jenny. Nice to meet you too."

"I'm Jake sir." Jake extended his hand and officer Anthony shook him firmly.