Chapter 14

There was silence for the first ten minutes of the walk and I realised he was looking for something to say. I was pretty comfortable in the silence actually but I helped him out even if I didn't really know what we should talk about. Josi's bad air was still lingering.

"So what were you doing at the café? I didn't expect to see you there."

"Oh, my brother just got home from camp. The plan was to go out and celebrate, buy cake and have a little fun with my friends but he was tired and didn't want to come so i let him be." he nodded as his fingers brushed mine. I shivered a little and glanced at his hands that were dangerously close to mine.

"I get it." I nodded understandably, "Does he look anything like you?"

His hazel eyes snapped to mine and an amused smile played on his lips, "Like me?"

I punched his shoulder playfully, "You know what I mean."

"No, no, Jenny. Elaborate." he pushed. His eyes twinkled and I glared vehemently.

"You know, does he have your... your sandy brown hair or your beautiful hazel eyes that changes colors depending on your emotion or does he have your smile?" my fingers itched to touch all his features one by one. Then I cursed myself for saying what my heart was telling me to say and now Jake knows what I think about most of the day. We had stopped walking but we're just standing staring into each others eyes. He smiled a tiny smile that made my heart flutter.

"My beautiful eyes?"

I broke out of the spell and turned red in embarrassment. I really hope he hadn't picked that up, "I... I-I they're um...you have really nice eyes. I l-like them." I looked down at my shoes. He placed a finger under my chin and made me look him in the eye.

"I like your eyes too." he spoke softly that made me gasp. I blushed really hard and I hated myself for not being able to take a compliment.
I smiled a little not finding the words to say anything. I was just comfortable in our little bubble. The bubble that contained only me and him.

"I'm so sorry about Jordin, Jenny. I really didn't think she would have gone that far."

I looked at him incredulously, "Why are you apologizing? You did nothing wrong. You didn't know she had issues." I rolled my eyes, "so stop apologizing."

He chuckled softly and tiredly. "But still. I'm sorry though. Your friend is probably so upset right now"

"She'll be fine. She's a strong girl." I said thinking about Karen and if she's okay with Troy. Maybe I should have just gone after her myself. I feel Jake drop his head on my shoulder and I allowed myself to enjoy the feeling of his soft hair on my skin for a little while. I remembered that Jake wasn't acting like himself today and the sighing, repetitive temple touching and the closing of his eyes reminded me.

"Are you okay, Jake? You look a little pale."

"I do?" He chuckles. He kisses my shoulder gently as if to reassure me. I shivered at the feeling, "I'm fine Jenny." He says.

"Are you sure?" I bit my lip. I was worried about him. Jake is normally so full of life. I hated seeing him like this.

"I'm fine." He laughed weakly. "I'm just a bit tired."

"Then let me take you home."

"But I wanna stay with you." He whined like a child and wrapped his arms around my neck still snuggling into my shoulder. I rolled my eyes at the big baby and pried him off. He laughed.

"Stop being a child." I countered. He didn't respond and I looked down at him again and bit my lips. "You're making me worried, Jake. I don't like seeing you this way."