Hooty's Moving Hassle

Eda had all of us out in the living room, watching as she goes against Owlbert in a popular game called, Hexes hold 'em.

She flipped the cards into the palm of her other hand and held them in front of her hand. At the back of the cards, the closed eyes opened up, staring up at her. "Watch closely, you two. Hexes hold 'em is the most tricky game on the Boiling Isles." She pulled out a card confidently, "Any proper witch knows how to play."

"Oh boy, cards!" Luz exclaimed excitedly, "The paper rectangles that old people think are fun!"

Eda placed down a card with a red demon on it, causing the placed down cards to be engulfed in yellow lighting, Owlbert immediately took cover under the table, peeking over a little.

The cards on both sides came to life, standing up with their spindly legs and roared. Eda's cards backed away as Owlbert's marched forward. The tiny Owl smirked at the older woman.

Eda still had her determined smile on her lips as she watched the cards fight and roar at each other, "Now when it looks like the deck is stacked against you, that's when you break out the wildcard." She pulled out a card with a red background and a grey tower.

The card glows green and Owlbert's cards burst into flames. The same flames formed in the air, spelling out 'Winner: Eda'. Owlbert hopped onto the table and hooted at the woman. Eda stood up and cheered in victory, "Whoo, I win! In your adorable owl face." She pointed at her palismen. When she stood back up, I noticed her arm was covered in dark grey feathers, uh oh...

Luz and King noticed too, as they backed away. "Ah, I love the feeling of victory; it feels... fluffy?"

"Ah, Eda, it's happening again!" Luz panicked.

"What's happening again?" She asked, hand on her hip.

"Your curse is returning!" King pointed out as Eda looked down at herself, finally noticing the feathers on her arms. Eda yelped, I immediately stood up, "I'll go get your elixirs."

I walked up stairs to her room to the chest that she kept nearby, which she revealed to Luz and I after the reveal of her curse. When I opened it, I gasped.

They were empty.

"Uh oh." I muttered. I grabbed one of the bottles and walked downstairs. "Okay, I have some pretty bad news..." I announced, "What's wrong, kid?" Eda asked, I handed her the empty bottle, "The rest are also empty."

"Oh boy," she sighed, "This is terrible"

"Uh, last time this happened, you turned into this thing." Luz held up her phone, displaying a picture of Eda in her Owl Beast form. Eda hummed, "I know I should be repulsed, but that look is fierce."

"Eda!" Luz and I both scolded her. She held her hands up, "You're right, you're right. We need to head to the market." She stated as she pressed her fist into her palm.

"Market!" Luz shouted in excitement as she stood up from her place on the couch and to the door, King following behind, "I'm gonna steal everything that's not nailed down!"

Eda reached out her hand towards them, "Before we go, would anyone like to play one more hand of Hexes hold 'em?"

"Eda, we don't have time." I sighed, "Oh, come on! Just one more game" She smiled, patting her pocket, only for her smile to turn into a frown, "Hey, where are my cards?", she asked, patting her other pocket.

Luz opened the door and Owlbert flew out with the cards clutched in his talons. Eda ran after him, "Owlbert, you sore loser, gimme back my cards!"

"How'd you smuggle them out of her pocket in the first place?" I asked Luz as we started heading out, "I have my ways." She smirked. Okay, what has Eda been teaching her other than magic?