Words Left Unspoken

The search party found Phoena about halfway to their destination. The hunt had lost most of its urgency by then— Callan and Sachi were together and safe, so Sol had learned through their greener surrounds— but that didn't mean their steps weren't still hurried. Rather, they walked with a purpose instead of running frantically. Phoena, meanwhile, was retracing her steps when the other happened upon her. An embittered scowl was carved across her her face as she glared at her feet, muttering curses under her breath and flexing and unflexing her fingers again and again. Her stomping about was getting her nowhere, but with their arrival, the others could provide a solution to her problem.

"We know where they are," Sol called out to the blonde, making Phoe's head snap back.

"You found them?"

The sorcereress nodded, wriggling her hand. It brought forth a faint silver glow to her fingertips as she smiled. "Having a magical bond with the natural world came in handy. They're not far now."

"Then let's not waste more time." Phoena was short with her words then but not abrasively so. The rigidity of her stance left no question of her nerves. She just wanted to see Callan and Sachi okay, as did the rest of them. There were no complaints to be had, and they trekked on.

Catching sight of the pair, once they did come properly into view, it felt almost a crime to disturb them. It was as if the entire forest had come to a standstill just for them. Cal and Sachi sat just in front of the largest tree in the area, the younger boy hunkered close as could be to the other's chest, their arms wound round one another like the touch was a lifeline. Rooting them... uniting them.

They had made up— a relief to the rest of their party, even if it begged the question to some: what had caused the issue in the first place?

Phoena nearly rushed out to them, but Brady was quick to stop her, catching her arm and pulling her back. He shook his head. They needed this; she couldn't intrude. The restless wild had silenced its din for the boys. If it didn't object to their moment of solace— if it could leave them to their own devices— so could she for a few breaths longer. The blonde was reluctant, half-sighing, but not loud enough for either to hear as she stepped back.

Unfortunately, another's misplaced step brought with it a strikingly poignant snap of a twig. All eyes— Callan and Sachi's included— shot over to Reighn, whose demeanor reflected that of a deer stalked by a predator. "Shit. I'm sorry!" he insisted, lifting his hands in his defense before anyone could begin hounding. "I really didn't mean to..."

Callan was the one to offer assurances. "It's fine, Reighn." His attention shifted to the rest of them as he slowly got to his feet and helped Sachi up as well. "How did you find us that fast?" It hadn't been long since Sachi fled and Cal along with him, only about a quarter of an hour or so, but they'd put quite a bit of distance between them. Shapeshifters, even in their human forms, were naturally faster than your average person. Part of that animal instinct of theirs. Darting off as they had, while the two brothers could keep each other's pace, Callan knew well that the others couldn't have followed easily. They must have used another method.

The question had Soleil wandering nearer— to the massive tree by which they stood. She inclined her head in its direction, tipping her chin up towards the tallest branches... the highest leaves. "You chose the perfect spot, really," she explained with a soft chuckle. Her finger traced nimbly over the crevices in the bark as she gave the towering tree a firm pat. "Thank you," almost a whisper before she glanced back at Callan and Sachi. "With the right connections, you can find out all sorts of things."

"Her magic really does make her the perfect conduit for the world's voice," Erzia murmured as she joined them. "You two alright?"

Phoena glowered at the back of the brunette's head, hissing through her teeth. But that was all, as she cared more about the answer than she did for humoring her insult at not having been the one to ask. It was a ridiculous childish feeling that twisted her insides up with noxious resentment. She folded her arms over her chest, gaze only brushing over Callan as it dipped to the floor. "You had us worried."