One for One: An Even Exchange

A/N: So, I wrote the main chunk of this chapter on my phone in an airplane on my way back from Philadelphia. Do I think anyone would've been able to notice any difference in quality? I don't know. Is there actually any difference in quality? Also not sure there... but at the very least, I thought I'd make that much known. Hopefully this chapter will let you know a bit more about some of our newer Runeholder's backstories (*cough* Erzia *cough*, my bb ❤️), so crossing my fingers it's a good one! Please do note: there's no drinking age in Gwyrholm, so nothing taboo in going for a drink in their world. ~ Rissa

Traveling by foot to Taetha's border would take about two days, allowing them only a handful of hours rest in the evening before they'd need to be on their way again, especially if they wanted to properly investigate Erzia's lead about the Manabe. Perhaps they could look into transportation in one of the towns along the way, but the farther they moved from the capital— the Taethian border was about as far as they could get while still remaining in Gwyrholm— the more common it was to stumble upon those of nefarious proclivities. Considering the most treacherous megalomaniac in the empire had already sent a lackey to try murdering three of their five Runeholders barely half a day's journey from the city considered safest of all in Gwyrholm, there was no predicting what they might face as they dared those more dangerous districts. They would have to keep their guards up, not knowing what might await them on their journey.

After bidding Reighn and Rina farewell, sending them back home to La Cierna and to their aunt, those that remained could be on their way. It was mid-morning by the time they truly set off, and while the bright sun made their own traveling party more obvious, it also kept any enemies from hiding in the shadows. They were undesirable targets in broad daylight. Of course, they still needed to take caution, but those sunshine hours offered an added level of security for the Runeholders.

But as the light dimmed, so grew their anxieties. The group was anything but inconspicuous, given what was commonly known of the three Runeholders from the capital. Callantine stuck out the most, his reputation— bad as it was— preceding him as the Grand Commander's son. Even if he'd never been that, he had a look to him that many a Gwyr could place with ease.

The sun had just dipped under the horizon, off behind the mountains when Erzia surveyed the group then the settlement in the distance. "I think we should stop here for the night." They'd only recently come upon the trading post town of Szhkia, which meant they were nearing halfway to the border. "It's starting to get dark, and Cabeon—" the next town on their route, "—is at least a two hours journey from here."

"Well, it's not like we have any better options..." Soliel muttered under her breath. "Keep your things close at hand. The post is known for having skilled pickpockets and all sorts of vagabonds."

Even without that warning, Cal would've stuck his brother tight to his side, but he didn't even want to consider the havoc that would result if some idiot decided poor Sachi, as a mere child, would be an easy mark. The Manabe would not take kindly to that, he was sure.

"We can spend the night then leave at first light," Callan offered. As little time spent in the town as possible sounded ideal, given its reputation.

"Maybe we can look into transportation too," Brady added. "Couldn't hurt to ask, at the very least."

Erzia shook her head at that. "They're also known for inflating prices here. We'd be spending at least triple at best on a horse or wagon. We're better off on foot, but you're more than welcome to try haggling with them."

Sol was quiet a moment before warning against that suggestion. "It's dangerous to offend the vendors here— I've heard stories that made me shudder." A cart wasn't worth a dagger too the stomach, and Braedyn already wasn't fond of shishkabobing. He didn't need a repeat incident here.