Pinch Me, I'm Dreaming

Floating. That was what it felt like; he was floating in an empty spanse of nothingness, lacking any solid assurance that he wasn't dead. Maybe this was what death was for a Runeholder— an endless stretch of blackness where he would be forever doomed to solitude, alone with only his thoughts and desperation. As he lay there, unable to budge or even open his eyes, the last thing that Callan could remembered from before he hit the ground was the look of sheer terror plastered on Sachi's face. His eyes still closed, it was as if that image was burned into his mind like a brand upon his memories. Cal gritted his teeth, mashing them together in frustration.

"Who are you?"

Callan thought his heart might stop beating when that voice cut sharply through the silence. "I'm pretty sure I'm the one who should be asking you that," the shifter puffed, "Considering you kidnapped me and all."

"I did not kidnap you!" the voice protested, high and shrill. Distinctly feminine and at least vaguely pissed off by Cal. "You were going to break the barrier, and I couldn't let you..." She trailed off, words soft and feather-light by the end.

"Are you... Soleil, perhaps?"

The quiet seemed particularly drawn out after Callan's question. "Who wants to know?" she asked wearily, the edge to her voice giving Callan all the answer he needed.

"I'll tell you whatever you want to know," he promised, "If, and only if, you release me from this spell."

"I—" She seemed hesitant for a moment, but releasing a long sigh, she agreed to his terms. "Fine. You have a deal."

Relief washed over the shifter, and soon after, he felt a pair of hands lightly cup his cheeks and a soft warmth press against his forehead. He flashed his eyes back open just as the girl drew her lips away, a glowing silvery radiance to her caramel skin similar to the one that dragged Callan into this mess in the first place. Both stared silently at one another for a moment, Cal pushing himself up onto his elbows.

Clearing her throat loudly, the sorceress stood up, brushing back her dark wild curls from her face. She eyed Callan expectantly, a slight pout on her lips. "How do you know about me?"

Cal, who had begun to investigate their surroundings, turned to face Soleil again. "My father. He was the one who sent me," he said simply, a bit unsteady as he got to his feet.

"Your father," Sol repeated. "Who is your father?"

Just that question alone was enough to make Callan cringe, but the accompanying ache of his body from whatever magic Soleil had used on him simply heightened his discomfort. On any other day, he wouldn't be inclined to admit his parentage so willingly, but gaining the sorceress' trust was far more important than his desire to hide from what the je Dellal name meant. "Grand Commander je Dellal..." he admitted weakly, earning him a surprised squeak from the girl.

"Oh," she managed to force out, rocking up onto her toes and folding her hands together apologetically. "I'm so sorry. That means you're Callentine je Dellal. That means—" She bowed her head to Cal, as if he actually was some sort of royal like Brady teased.

"Please, stop," he insisted, cutting her off as he waved his hands wildly, desperately. "That means that I'm a Runeholder just like you, not anyone you need to bow to. Alright?"

Soleil lifted her head just enough to meet his gaze, biting down on her lip in thought. "If you're sure?"

"I am." Cal nodded.

With that assurance, Sol straightened up and offered a half-hearted smile. "I take it you've come because of Elieveta?" Another nod from Cal. "And those others who came with you, they're Runeholders too?"