It's Called Mob MENTALity for a Reason

Callan and the others caught up with Soleil and her family by the front door of the house. Soleil's aunt, Oma, seemed shockingly calm despite all that was happening. Sol, on the other hand, was fervently arguing with Reighn while Ismerina looked desperate, caught up in between the two. Oma was the first to notice the appearance of Sachi and Soleil's fellow Runeholders. "I'm sorry that we have to met under such unfortunate circumstances. You must be the friends that Soleil spoke of. I hope this trouble won't delay you long..."

The way she said the word made it very clear that she knew who they were and why they were there, but the admiration and respect with which she addressed the group of them— a group of children who without a few inky black marks on their kin would have been treated as just that: children— gave Callan hope for their mission. There were so many people counting on them to stop Elieveta... People like Oma. People like Reighn and Rina. And countless others who not one of the six Runehlders might ever learn the names of. It was a welcome reminder of what their responsibility to Gwyrholm was in this time of uncertainty.

"Who are they, and what do they want?" Phoena asked without missing a beat. They didn't have time to dally, after all. They needed to be focused and get straight to the heart of the issue.

Oma pressed her lips together into a thin line, a soft puff of air escaping as a sigh. "Some of the townsfolk saw you all as you came into two. I overheard rumors in the market—" Her gaze shifted to Sachi, still cradled securely in Cal's arms."—rumors of a beast, disguising itself as an innocent boy."

"They came from Mystaire, didn't they?" Sachi said weakly, turning his head to peer at the older woman.

She nodded. "Years ago, yes. Some thought it safer to leave than to stay."

"Three years ago..." Sachi whimpered, his arms shaking as he clung tighter to Callan.

"Hey, it's going to be okay," the shifter assured him, a smile pulling at his lips despite his worry. He wasn't going to let Sachi see how ruffled he was by this. It would only frighten the young boy more.

Oma ushered them closer, speaking in hushed tones. "Fear makes people dangerous, especially when faced with something the don't understand..." Her eyes glazed over for a moment, but she never shed a tear over her wistful remembrances. "They won't hurt me. I'll distract them, and you get as far from here as you can." She then looked to Soleil and gave her niece's hand a firm squeeze. "Take the twins with you. I won't risk them staying with a mob ready to ransack their home."

"I'm not letting you stay here by yourself!" Reighn protested, but Oma shut him down immediately with a piercing gaze.

"Reighn Alaric Klaussen, you will leave this house. This is not up for discussion."

Whatever retort Reighn might have had, he swallowed his words and lowered his head submissively to his mother. "Okay, fine."

Those logistics settled, Oma gave the group one final glance, wearing a confident smile on her lips. "Be safe. All of you." Then, she marched outside to confront the townspeople.

"She plans to feign ignorance and let them search the house for us once we've left. Should give us a bit of a head start on the collective of pitchforks and flaming torches." Brady's mental talents, for once it seemed, were being put to good use. "Give her some time to lead them away from the front, then we should make a run for it."

Sol peered over at the closed door, her lips twisted in an uncomfortable frown. "It's not like we have any better options."

"It's settled then," Brady announced decisively. "I'll give you the go ahead once it's clear."