Responsibilities

Zeref's POV

I paced by Lucy's bed with a very agitated Natsu on the opposite side of the bed staring down into Lucy's pale face. He looked up and growled at me, his fangs hanging over his bottom lip. I growled back at him and we resumed our pacing. " You do realize that if she dies it will be completely your fault, right asshole? All of Fairy Tail will come after you. You'll never sleep another day in your life. " I heard Natsu say but I couldn't reply. I was lost. I had hurt my Lucy in an attempt to hurt one of the people she loved. I was a complete idiot. I would gladly let Natsu kill me if Lucy died. I wouldn't want to be anywhere on this planet if not with my beloved wife.

Lucy stirred in her sleep with pain filled moan and then she shivered violently. Natsu almost jumped on her. He hopped into the bed beside her and he dragged her unconscious body to him. Lucy moaned again but she turned into him. I almost cried at the sight of my precious wife turning to anyone else for comfort. But she would most likely leave me if and when she woke up. She would think that I had purposefully tried to kill her. I would lose her at some point whether it was to Natsu or to Death itself. I'd love her in either scenario.

I'd... never do... that...

I was standing by the door in one moment and the next I was right beside Lucy, her left hand in mine.

Lucy? I called tentatively.

I... can't... find... you, Came her weak reply. Where are you?

I don't...know... I'm... so tired. She thought and I chuckled in happy relief. I was probably half crazy by now but I didn't care. Natsu was looking at me as if I'd completely lost my mind but it didn't matter in the slightest. I had my Lucy back.

Not... completely... I'm... not yours... anymore... Zeref. My relief crumbled and I froze in shock. What did she mean. Lucy? What are you saying?

Lucy's POV

Lucy. Lucy Heartfilia. Wake yourself. I have urgent news for you! You must rouse yourself quickly Ms.Heartfilia!

I was suddenly up right in the darkness, a women in a long white dress stood in front of me. " Welcome Ms.Heartfilia. " The woman said, hr voice everywhere and no where at the same time. " What is ti that you need from me? " I asked and she bent herself in half, her long, white hair hanging around the back of her head. " The spirits had not meant for this of happen! You were meant for Natsu, mistress, not this man Zeref! And a dark wizard at that! The very thought of someone as pure as you my lady being married to that... that, thing! " She said and I quelled the urge to yell at her that she wrong about Zeref.

" The look on your face tells me that I've upset you and I am sorry miss but this must be said and I must be fairly blunt for you to bet the point. You are not allowed to stay with Zeref anymore. The gods will not allow it any longer. He is interfering with their plans for you. You are angle sent from the farthest reaches of heaven to save this world. Someone as evil as Zeref cannot be beside you if you are to accomplish your goal. You must abandon this man and take Natsu Dragneel as you mate in order to make your way into the future. You have a week before the Kami's separate you both forcefully from each other. " The woman and then she disappeared as if I had closed my eyes. Here one moment, gone the next.

" WAIT! Why did you choose me? " I shouted into the nothingness and a chuckle came back at me from no where and everywhere as if a thousand people were laughing in sync. " You are good at heart. In every life you've been nothing but good to all you meet, even those who leave you. Why question what you cannot understand though you know deep in your heart the truth of the words I speak. " The voice said and then I was left in silence again.

...my precious wife turning to anyone else for comfort. But she would most likely leave me if and when she woke up. She would think that I had purposefully tried to kill her. I would lose her at some point whether it was to Natsu or to Death itself. I'd love her in either scenario.

Zeref? He thought I would leave him because he'd hit me in attempt to prove himself to Natsu? He couldn't think that.

I'd never do that!

( Back to present situation. Poor Zeref. T^T )

Lucy's POV

I showed Zeref the conversation, Natsu's anxious hands stroking my face slowly. " Luce? " He asked as Zeref threw my hands back at me. " Zeref, I... I don;t know what to say to you. " I said quietly. " I don't want to let you go but I have to. The Kami's have decided and I can't go against them. Neither of us can, as much as I wish we could. " I said and Zeref spun around and he walked up to me, his face a mask of anger. " As much as you wish? You must not wish as much as I do. You would give this up, ' he gestured between us , ' for something with him? " Zeref hissed at me and then he glared at Natsu. " You took her from me once. You won't get a second chance. You come anywhere near, MY mate I'll do my best to end you. Acnologia failed but I'm more than ready to clean up his mess. " Zeref said and then he kissed me, my lips burning with blood.

I shoved Zeref off me when my mind cleared a little.  " I will not be in the middle of your childish war! Zeref, either you spend the remaining days with me or you leave now and never see me again! " I said and then I stood on shaky legs to leave the room. Both men leaped to my side and they both wrapped their arms around my waist, their arms over lapping. Natsu growled and Zeref hissed at him. I broke free of both their embraces. " Go home both of you. Zeref if you show up at my door step you will be sent back to where ever you came from. The same goes for you Natsu. Neither of you come after me. " I said and I stumbled to the door of the infirmary. I slammed the door behind me and I held my tears until I made it to my house.

I broke down right behind my door, my back against the front door. My sobs shook my body, my emotions raw and my heart cracked open. I cried until I couldn't cry anymore. I lifted myself off the floor and I walked to my bed. I felt myself leaning towards it, my knees weak, my arms hitting the bed first. I fell on to the bed and my heart throbbed as I thought of Natsu lying in my bed with me. I closed my eyes and a small broken sound crawled from my raw throat. I started to cry again as I thought of the only person that had meant anything to me. I had just lost my future to someone who was too busy fawning over a dead girl. I cried for my lost loves, new and old. I cried for the future I'd never have. I cried for myself and my selfishness getting in the way of my seeing the one person who could truly see me for who I was .

A small noise sounded outside but I couldn't bring myself to care much. I had just lost everything and I was too tired to care about anything anymore. Little did I know that my room had started to fill with light that radiated from me. I was glowing a bright blue, my hair floating in long waves of gold. I cried into the night, the silver moon light pouring in over my head. I was bathed in blue and silver and how right it felt when I felt so lost and alone, as I never had before.