Forgive and Forget

" Luke! Luke! Come on! " Layla shouted down the hall, her youngest nestled into her arm, her large brown eyes shining with excitement. " I'm here! Let's go before they get here! " A burly man with short blue hair walked up to Layla with her other child, a small bluenette that had begun to chew on her slobbery fist. " I have the money and Rima's bottle and clothes. Let's go. " He said and grabbed her hand as they rushed to the door.

A small blast blew the couple backwards into the house. Layla landed with her back on the floor, her child still cradled in her arms. " They're here! Go! " Luke said and passed the child in his arms at her mother. " I'll come back for you when the girls are safe. " Layla said and with a last glance at the man she turned and ran for the door that was behind her. She ran down the hall and opened the door at the end of the hall. She burst through the door, running through the open field of grass.

She stopped in the middle of the field and started to chant quietly. A loud roar echoed from far away and Layla smiled before gasping as a hole appeared in her side. She looked down and saw the gaping bloody hole that had gorged itself into her left side, just underneath her left breast. She felt herself falling, her energy fading fast. " Looks like I won't be coming back for you, Luke. " She said softly and laughed.

" I've found her! The witch is over there! Get her body! The master wants her alive or dead! " A loud gruff voice called across the field. " They're almost here. " She whispered and called on her remaining strength. A small yellow bubble closed over her and her children, the squealing toddler in her arms tugging at the loose strands of hair that surrounded her face. An ear piercing roar came down from above her and Layla looked up to see a black dragon hovering over the barrier she'd created.

" You came. " She whispered and tears streamed from her misty brown eyes. " Of course I did. But I was too late. If I had been just a bit faster, I could have- "

" Don't punish yourself for this, old friend. This was going to happen one day. " Layla smiled and pushed her children towards the dragon. With careful jaws he captured the children and began to rise with them in his powerful jaws.

" Thank you. Acnologia. "