Chapter 4

"No," she stated and kept walking in the direction of the bus stop. She would rather deal with frizzy hair and a fever than get in the car with him.

He drove the car slowly to match her pace.

"Just get in. I have something to say to you."

"I don't want to hear it."

"I am your boss too, Willow," he said authoritatively, "not just your childhood friend."

She stopped immediately and slid into the passenger seat, placing the bag that she was using as an umbrella between her legs on the floor of the vehicle. The car's heat was a nice welcome from the increasingly chilly weather outside. She watched the raindrops trickle down the window's glass. The rain had slowed, almost stopped except for one or two stray drops, but the dark clouds loomed over the sky, leaving no room for stars to sparkle.

"What do you want to say to me?"

Maxon remained silent. He drove straight ahead, his gaze fixed on the road. Her patience dwindled as the minutes passed. She couldn't hide her nervousness.

"If you have something to say to me, say it," she added firmly.

He sighed audibly.

"Have you been making up rumors about us?" He asked without looking at her.

Willow glanced at him for a fraction of a second before laughing.

"I'm serious."

Willow scoffed.

"No. Of course not."

He shook his head.

"I shouldn't have asked it as a question. Just admit it. You've been telling everyone that we're going out."

"Now, why would I do something like that? I have high standards." She rolled her eyes. "Besides, who gave you such outlandish information?"

"It doesn't matter."

"Noelle? Was that Noelle?" Noelle, Willow's roommate, was the only person who knew about her past connection with Maxon.

"It makes no difference," he said firmly. "All I need is for you to stop. It's humiliating."

"It is humiliating for me! Without a doubt."

He laughed sardonically.

"Why don't you give up the act?"

Willow stared at him, wide-eyed and perplexed.

"Don't go there," she whispered.

"I know you still love me."

Willow's face flushed.

Yes, she had been in love with Maxon since she was sixteen years old, but she had truly loved him since they were seven. He had come to visit his grandmother one summer and had returned every year since until he turned fifteen and finally moved in with her to attend the school in her town. Willow's father's house was right next door to his grandmother's. She had been perplexed as to why he would relocate from a large city to a small town until he explained it to her. He told her how his mother had passed away and that living with his father had become so unbearable that he had decided to leave.

Willow had always loved him, however, the trouble began when she fell in love with him. She had confessed how much he meant to her and how she desired to be with him. He said that he was flattered, but stated that he could not and would not devote his time to a romantic relationship. That he was incapable of doing so. But if she wanted to hook up with him, he'd be fine with it. He said that he thought she was very attractive and that he wouldn't mind sleeping with her.

That night, she came home and cried herself to sleep. She was hurt that he was only interested in her body rather than who she truly was. She declined his offer but respected his decision to not be with her. A few days later, she noticed him with other girls at school, some of whom he referred to as his girlfriends. She then stopped speaking to him entirely. When they found out they were going to the same college, they pretended like they didn't know each other.

"Stop the car," she said calmly.

He didn't.

"Stop the car!"

Maxon pulled over to the side of the dark, quiet road. The yellow street lamps didn't help with lighting up the place.

Willow always feared such an interaction with him. She had wondered what they would talk about if they ever spoke again. Even in her imagination, she always wound up hyperventilating and heartbroken.

She stepped out of his car and began walking away from him, making conscious attempts to take deep breaths.

"You're acting childish," he screamed. "Come on, get back in."

"I'm not going anywhere with you!" She spun around and roared. "Who knows, maybe the next thing you'll say is that I tried to hit on you."

"Fine! Whatever. Do what you want," he said as he drove past her, leaving her alone on the side of the road.