Chapter 49

Willow saw the scratch on her wrist that had droplets of blood trickling out of it. She closed her eyes before wincing in pain.

Although if there were any poetic justice, it would look exactly like the vampire howling in torment on the ground. The hooded man took a knife out of his coat and plunged it deep into the creature's heart. Willow heard the painful sounds of death and backed away.

The man slowly removed the knife from the vampire's heart and looked at her.

"Don't be afraid."

She pressed the cut with her hand to stop it from bleeding before slowly inching away from him.

"I am not going to hurt you," he said softly.

She looked at him skeptically.

"Who are you?"

The man took off his black hood and stepped into the yellow light. He appeared to be in his late 40s, buff and fit, with salt and pepper hair.

He extended his hand to help her up.

"I am Rick."

Willow let go of the wound and used both of her arms to push herself off the ground. She wasn't that badly injured and didn't need his help.

"What do you want?" She asked cautiously.

"You don't need to be afraid of me. I'm human, just like you," he assured. "I know a safe place where you can stay. Come with me."

"Thank you, but I don't need it."

She turned around to leave.

"Take this at least!"

The man offered her a band-aid, which Willow hesitantly took.

"I run an organization that helps humans in this city defend themselves against these bloodsuckers. We have rescued many people and will continue to do so. You should come with me. Being out here all alone isn't safe."

She looked at him expressionlessly before she turned around and walked away into the deep deserted alleys that would lead to the center of the city.

You don't trust him? You think he will do something bad to you? How about you doing something worse to him? Yeah, walk away. He is better off without saving you. Because if he knew what you have done, what you are capable of, he would plunge that knife in your heart instead.

She wandered around the city streets, taking shelter in the dark. It was quiet. Too quiet.

The man just saved your life. Why are you mad at him? Ah! Is it because you didn't want to be saved? Did you for a second think it would be that easy to escape the disaster woven by your hands? You will suffer just like everyone else. You are condemned to walk alone through this purgatory.

She pressed her forehead against her the tip of her fingers to ease some of the pain and kept walking until she found herself on the lone road that led uphill to the university.

Every step felt like walking on thorns that would lead to the dreaded sight of an empty university. There was not a single soul in sight. The hallways were desolate. The classrooms were deserted.

Willow walked into the meeting room of the club to find it dark and dusty. The sliding glass door was left open. The cold air rushing in left goosebumps on her skin.

Memories flooded her mind. The once-happy moments were in contrast with what was in front of her now.

You did this.

She sniffed. The tears slowly slid down her cheeks. She took a few steps back until she fell on one of the bean bag chairs and passed out.

***