Chapter 33

She heard the sound of the door opening.

"Willow?"

"Luke?" She exclaimed. "What are you doing here?"

A perplexed Luke stood holding the door open before he stepped out.

"What am I doing here? Ha ha... I live here. What are you doing here?"

"I...I am looking for somebody."

"Well, you clearly have the wrong house. Unless you were looking for me," he winked. "Sorry, but I'm taken."

"Taken by delusion, no doubt," she scoffed and murmured under her breath. "Look around. There's no other house here. I'm sure this is the right place."

"What's with all the noise?" Wes walked sluggishly to the door while pushing his hair back.

"See, I was right!" She squealed.

***

Willow sat on the sofa in the huge living room which was a contrast to what the house looked like from the outside. The house was surprisingly clean, and though it didn't look like something out of an interior design catalog, it was fairly modern and spacious, with lots of windows.

"You have some explaining to do," she said, looking at Wes.

"No, we don't." Luke interrupted. "Honestly, I was okay with you joining the club, but this is a breach of my privacy."

Wes walked to stand beside Luke.

"Willow this is my cousin. I'm living with him for as long as I'm here."

Willow tried to speak, but she quickly shut her mouth out of hesitation.

"Does that mean..."

"Yes," Wes replied, "he's a vampire."

She shook her head.

"Okay. I get it. But I still need to speak to you alone."

Luke threw his hands in the air.

"Sure. Kick me out of my own house."

"Let's go to the kitchen," Wes spoke. "I am hungry anyway."

"Good thing. I'm hungry too," she said under her breath.

Her appetite vanished as soon as she looked inside the refrigerator filled with bottles of blood. The labels had blood types written on them. Wes poured the maroon liquid into an opaque glass and placed the bottle back in the fridge. He sat at one of the stools opposite Willow. A marble counter between the two.

Willow felt light-headed.

"So, what did you want to talk about?"

"You," she said. "I'm going to get straight to the point. I don't know if I can trust you. I don't know if you're using me. I don't know if you'll betray me in the end. Why did you disappear? When you had the chance, why didn't you save the map?"

A clap of thunder rumbled outside, and soon the rain followed, rapping on the kitchen windows.

"I'm going out!" Luke shouted from the living room. "Don't wait up!"

The sound of the front door being opened and closed, and then the silence of the rain.

She looked at Wes, jaw tight, clenching his teeth, closed off.

"You're right. You can't trust me," he got up from his seat. Leaving his drink, he walked out of the kitchen. "You can go."

"Wes!" She followed him as he climbed the stairs and went into his room. He shut the door before she could enter.