Chapter 37

He drew her in and locked the door. She drew in a sharp intake of breath. There was no space left between. The air around them became suddenly hot and heavy, and she could hear her heart beating in her ears.

He kissed her like he hadn't kissed any other and with one hand on her waist, he maneuvered her over to the bed. She fell on it with him on top.

His arms were on either side of her as he pulled away to allow her to breathe. She stared into his beautiful eyes, breathing heavily, and then his swollen lips.

She tugged on his black t-shirt, and in one swift movement, he took it off, slightly ruffling his hair.

"I've wanted this for so long." His voice was husky.

"Me too," she whispered, placed her hand on the back of his neck, and pulled him in for another kiss. His back muscles flexed as she ran her hands down his skin. She let out a moan.

She could feel his abdominal muscles on her ribs and stomach when he leaned in to kiss her neck. Another moan escaped from her lips. All of her previous concerns had now vanished. She was certain that she wanted this right now, even if it meant going against her set path for the future.

***

A few minutes later, the two lay naked in bed covered with a thin blanket as they looked at each other.

Wes stroked her hair softly.

"You're staring," he said though not accusingly.

"I can't help it. You are beautiful."

He could not hide the astonished look on his face.

"I usually get handsome, sexy, or gorgeous."

"Well, you are all of those things. But mostly, you are beautiful. And I love your eyes."

He grinned. His thumb was now on her cheek, caressing it.

"Is that what you thought when you first saw me?"

Willow laughed at the memory.

"No, on the contrary. I mean I did notice how good-looking you were but I was in too much of a panic mode to actually notice you in a different light. And not to mention," her eyes were in slits as she said, "you handcuffed me to the bed. It was too soon for that."

He threw his head back and laughed at the memory.

"It had happened before. A girl had broken into the palace and was found hiding in one of the worker's rooms. When asked why she would commit such a thing, she said it was for me. That she wanted to meet me and do...other things that a crazed infatuated person does. Anyway, the king was furious and..." he stopped mid-sentence.

"And?"

"And he had her publically whipped." Wes paused, feeling guilty. "Everybody on the council agreed to that punishment since breaking into the palace is a crime. They let this incident be a lesson."

"I feel bad for the poor girl."

"I should apologize to you. I am sorry for taking you to the king that day. I had been irritated the entire time; I had been reading my mother's letters, the king went on about my broken engagement, Ava was being Ava, and then I found an unknown person in my bed when all I wanted was to be left alone. But that is no excuse."

"It's okay, Wes. It was a genuine mistake." She took his hand in hers.

Willow continued staring at his face.

"What?"

"I'm just...fathoming how we ended up here." There was a brief pause. "My favorite memory is the one when we were in your sanctuary and we were both reading for a while without talking. It is strange to think how comfortable I felt even though I did not know you at all at that time."