Chapter 54

Willow stepped out of the shower and wore the same black clothes that had become like a uniform to her. After drying her hair, she tied it into a high ponytail and left her room.

She walked down the dark hallway. Only dim lamps were allowed in the building and those lamps were placed in all the rooms. The only well-lit area was the basement. The rest of the building remained in the darkness at night. Members of the organization had to rely on moonlight or had to memorize the floor plan and count their steps. Willow knew exactly where to go, and once she reached, she knocked on the door.

"It's open," said the voice from inside.

She twisted the doorknob and pushed it open to find Felicity sitting on the bed. Her room was identical to Willow's. Small with minimal furniture and an attached bathroom.

"Willow!" Felicity immediately jumped out of bed and wrapped her arms around her for a quick hug. "I am so glad you're here."

Willow cleared her throat.

"How are you?"

"I am fine but you need to tell me more about his place."

So for the next fifteen minutes, Willow explained everything about the organization and how she became a part of it. They were both sitting on the bed by now.

"And where have you been for the past six months?"

Felicity looked out the window.

"I was in class when I heard the news alongside everybody else. We were advised to leave campus and return to our homes and family. But I had never wanted the family that I have. The only person I cared about is my sister. So I went to a different city to find her. Luke followed me, but I'm sure you already know that. I went to her apartment. She wasn't there. So I went to my parent's house in the hopes of finding her there. The house was empty except for a note. It turned out that my parents and sister had left the country in the private jet and flown to an island to escape the mayhem of the city. I have never felt more abandoned. I don't know what I would do if Luke wasn't there."

Willow gave a light, comforting squeeze to her shoulder.

"And why did you want to find Maxon? I thought it was a brief romance."

Felicity shook her head.

"It doesn't matter if it was brief or long; a connection is a connection. We spoke a lot about our future, where we would be, and what we would do. I had started envisioning a life with him. And when all that came crashing down, I was left with burning questions. I needed closure. Maybe I still do."

"As far as I know, he's not coming back, Fel. Your feelings might have been real for each other, but a lot has changed."

"Yeah, a lot has changed. Can you believe how stupid I was before? My biggest problems were related to the club and my parents." She scoffed. "None of that matters now."

Willow stared off into the empty space, thinking about the past.

"We were living a happy life. We just didn't know it until it was taken from us."

The two looked at the dark clouds through the window.

"So," Willow continued, "you have decided to become a fighter?"

Felicity nodded.

"I might as well contribute while I'm here. It won't be easy, but I'll try."

Willow had a small, sad smile on her face.

"Do you know who is assigned to train you?"

"Yeah, someone named Marcus."

"He's a good fighter. You'll be fine," she remarked before getting up from the bed. "I need to go now. I'll... see you around."