Chapter 57

The sky above the palace of Corlyn was dark, starry, and cloudless. Ava stood by the window of the guest room that was much smaller than her room at the palace of Vilaria. The space had minimal furniture: a bed, a vanity table, a small closet, a sofa, and a coffee table.

Ava twisted the fabric of the curtain between her fingers as she looked at the main gates of the palace, where guards stood in attention all night.

"This is exactly what I tried to escape, and this is exactly where we ended up," she sighed. "Another palace."

Rus looked at her from the sofa chair, feeling sympathetic. He had been given the room beside hers, but he didn't want to leave her alone.

There was a knock at the door. Ava turned around to look at Rus and then back at the door. Whoever was on the other side did not wait for a response as the door flew open.

"Princess!" Ava said coming to stand near Rus who was now standing out of respect too.

Princess Raya hastily rushed into the room before closing the door. She wore a sky-blue dress, her auburn hair was in a twisted knot, and a small diamond-encrusted tiara sat on her head.

"I apologize for barging in," she said, "but I am afraid you cannot stay here anymore."

There was silence for a second when Ava and Rus looked at each other and then waited for the princess to clarify her claims.

"Felix, a member of your mage's trusted board, has a meeting scheduled with my father."

"We know who Felix is. He is practically Aurum's right-hand man," Ava said under her breath. She looked at the princess. "But your father, the king, has promised to protect us."

Princess Raya shook her head.

"My father said he would provide temporary shelter. We do not know how long or short "temporary" is. Besides, my father feels indebted to Prince Wes and only to Prince Wes. My father would not give him up for my sake, but if things go well with Felix, then my father would throw you two under the bus to sweeten the pot."

Ava looked at Rus.

"We need to go."

"Where?" He asked. "We have nowhere to go. One look at you and you would easily be recognized as royalty. Even if we try to escape we would get caught."

Princess Raya had an adamant look on her face.

"I have someone willing to guide you out of the kingdom. He knows the secret paths that you can use to avoid being seen and he is also excellent with horses. He can take you in a carriage. About your appearance, Queen Ava, we can simply change that."

Thirty minutes later, when it was nearing dawn, Felix was entering the palace at the same time as Ava, Rus, and Raya sneakily headed outside through the side doors with the help of the princess' loyal friends. They walked into the woods outside the palace until they reached a closed wooden carriage with two horses tied to it.

"This is Lee," the princess said when the stable boy came into view. "He will take you."

Ava and Rus exchanged quick hellos with him.

"Lee is," Raya said, "my lover."

There were two sets of raised eyebrows.

"My father wants him dead which is why he is leaving with you."

Rus stepped forward. "Don't worry. We'll keep him safe."

***

"I wouldn't take that if I were you... unless you want to die."

Slade stood to his feet as the priest entered the room looking at Wes and Willow.

"How did you know we were here?" Slade asked.