Chapter 40

Willow retracted her steps on the stairs and hurried to the kitchen where she sat with Luke and poured herself a drink.

"Being in a relationship is futile." She took a big sip from the glass. "You will eventually, most certainly, end up alone."

"Everything is pointless," Luke added.

The two drowned themselves in melancholia.

"There is no meaning to life," she slurred.

"What is life without love?"

"What is love without a companion?"

"What is a companion when they do not reciprocate?"

"What is a companion when they won't stay?"

The two fell silent for a moment before Luke spoke.

"I am certain that I am drunk and in dire need of sleep."

"And I require more of this." She lifted the bottle before gulping the bitter liquid.

"Good night," he said, stumbling out of the kitchen.

***

A short while later, Willow went to sleep. She was unable to stop turning around in bed. The light from the phone's screen reflected off her face as she picked up the device from the nightstand and checked the time.

2:09 am.

She rose from the bed and threw the blanket aside. Walking out of the room, she went to the kitchen and drank a glass of water. Her eyes felt heavy. She could see the campfire blazing through the glass doors that overlooked the backyard.

Wes was seated in one of the padded chairs she had set out earlier in the day. She opened the door and entered the porch. He radiated an incandescent glow from the fire.

"I got bored during the day while waiting for you to come back," she said to him while walking towards the fire. "Luke helped me set it up. Not that it matters now," she uttered the last part under her breath.

In the backyard, a camping tent was set up with firewood, cushions, and blankets.

She sat beside him on the chair.

"Why did you do that, Wes," she asked looking at the fire, perfectly calm, thinking about the last thing he had said to her. She had been hurt but understood his reasons, though it didn't stop it from hurting any less. She glanced at him. "Why did you ruin our bubble?"

He also turned to stare at her. Their eyes reflected the flame's light.

"Because I'm falling in love with you."

Her eyes widened and she felt her heart slowly racing.

"Because it will be harder to forget you once I am back in my world."

Her mouth opened to say something, anything, but she found herself at a loss for words.

"I don't know what I was expecting...but I sure as hell wasn't expecting that. Wes... I lo—"

"Don't say it," he pleaded with his eyes.

She pursed her lips.

"Is there any way we can make this work?" She whispered. "Is there any way you could move here?"

"Is there any way you can? Can you move to the kingdom?"

"I...I have a life here... My friends and family, school—"

"I have a life there too, Willow."

"I'm sorry..." She said softly, "I shouldn't have asked. It's not fair."