Chapter 59

Willow and Wes left the room and gathered everyone.

"Why now?" Kairav asked as he walked down the hallway of the lodge with Wes, Willow, Slade, Ava, Rus, and Luke.

"We know for certain where Aurum is going to be," Willow said. "And the rest of the vampires. There couldn't have been a better opportunity."

"Should I remind you that we don't have the numbers," Slade exclaimed. "How are the seven of us going to beat an army of thousands?"

They were out of the lodge when Willow turned to face all the others.

"We have the vampires of Hieroland and the humans of the organization. But you are right. It's not enough, which is why I have a plan."

***

Wes and Slade walked through the streets of the kingdom of Vilaria. The two had come through the portal into the once-human city of Syllton and had crossed the woods to enter Vilaria inconspicuously. Wes kept his head low while Slade walked ahead with his head held high since nobody would recognize him.

A man, an old vampire, had stopped them on their way as they were entering the kingdom.

"I have never seen you before," he said. "Who are you and where do you come from?"

Slade greeted the man with a friendly smile.

"We have come from a far land to see the coward king's execution."

The old man looked at Wes hiding behind Slade.

"Forgive my brother," Slade quickly said, now entirely blocking the man from seeing Wes. "He is shy. He hasn't been outside his house in a long time. His life is slightly tragic; his wife left him, and she won't take him back. I thought the execution would cheer him up—"

Slade felt a pinch on his back.

"Indefinitely," the old man said. "Take the next left to the city square. That's where they will bring the former king."

The man gave one last look to Wes.

"May the lord be kind to this poor boy," he mumbled before stepping out of their way.

Wes and Slade blended into the crowd of spectators and watched as their father was being brought in chains. The former king had lost his glory and gold, stripped of his extravagant attire. In dirty rags, he appeared to be a commoner who wouldn't be spared a second glance if it weren't for his former title.

"As promised," Aurum said from the raised platform in the middle of the city square, "I bring the criminal to justice before you."

"Kill him!" the crowd roared.

"He is a liar!"

"Traitor!"

"Scoundrel!"

Aurum signaled the executioner, who was dressed in black robes like a grim reaper. The executioner dragged Albert to the platform for everyone to see and brought him to her knees, ready to strike his neck with a silver dagger.

Wes attempted to take a step forward toward his father but Slade held his arm and pulled him back.

"He might have fathered us, Wes, but he was never a real father to either of us," Slade said in his ear. "He is paying for his crimes. Let him."

Wes exhaled.

"He might not have been a good father but he was a decent king. He might have lied and deceived but it was to protect everyone. The humans were safe in his reign but look at them now. Scattered, scared, used as livestock. He has wronged us and he will pay for it, but not this way."