Chapter 12

She was too tired to argue and instead chose to sleep on the comfortable bed. That is until she heard a knock on the door a few minutes later. Even the smallest noise woke her up. She opened the door to find Ava standing outside and moved aside to let her in, but Ava remained standing.

"I just wanted to make sure you were all right," she explained.

"Are you sober?" Willow asked.

"Yes. And I assume you're fine."

She was still tired and dizzy. For some reason, she realized Ava would not enter the room, so she crouched until she was sitting on the floor, her back against the door frame. Ava sat down as well, her knees hugging her chest and her regal gown spilling around her.

"I don't think that's appropriate for a queen," she said.

"Don't worry, I am not your queen. And it's all right as long as no one sees."

Willow sighed as silence fell between them for a moment.

"Am I a prisoner?"

Ava cocked her brow.

"Believe me, you wouldn't have to ask that question if you were a prisoner," she stated flatly.

"How did a common girl such as yourself end up being the wife of a king? I'm guessing it's a story I'd like to hear."

Ava gasped.

"How do you know I'm a commoner?"

Willow gave a sly grin.

"All right, I am...or was. But it's not a particularly interesting story," Ava said, folding her dress fabric between her fingers.

"Try me. I have nothing better to do."

Before she spoke, Ava paused for a moment to reflect. And as she began to speak, her mind returned to the memories.

"When the king saw me, I was just a silly, innocent girl. I was taken aback by how attractive he was, even at his age. My family is not from the capital," she explained. "We're from a small town not far away. It was unheard of for the king to make a pit stop in a small town but during times of war, he would usually set up camps in the open fields. This time, however, he was returning from a hunting trip and chose to stay in my town. He noticed me working at this grand inn, which now doesn't seem so grand after seeing what the capital and the palace have to offer.

As I previously stated, I was a silly girl who had the privilege of speaking to the king, changing his bed sheets, and cleaning his room. When my family found out, they applauded and expressed their pride in me. I'd never heard anything like it before. They urged me to curry favor with the king. As a result, I did. I spent time with him, and when I wasn't, I fantasized about what it would be like to be with him, what it would be like to be a queen. Everything was a figment of my imagination. He stayed for a few days before leaving. However, he returned a month later. The desire to become queen was growing stronger and more real. He returned every few months to see me until one day he returned with a proposal.

When I got home from work that day, there he was. Chatting with my family in an ordinary house. I immediately said yes. We married, and I moved into the palace. I was overjoyed... I had it all..."

Willow sensed a shift in the conversation as Ava began to ramble on about unrelated topics.

"I mean...I'm grateful. He claims to love me and to give me everything I desire..."

"Except?"

"What?" Ava questioned, perplexed.

"You claimed to have everything... except?"