Chapter 44

"It is proven," Byron declared. "This girl, this human, infiltrated our kingdom with malicious intents, spread lies, and perjured herself in front of the queen. She should be punished without mercy."

The queen remained silent for a brief period of time. Her court regarded her in anticipation. Willow closed her eyes, praying for Wes to show up, praying for an earthquake, a strike of lightning, a zombie apocalypse, or literally anything that would delay the verdict for a lifetime.

"Your majesty?"

"As I said earlier," the queen finally spoke, "those who commit perjury earn themselves a death sen—"

The sound of the hefty golden doors opening cut her off. Everybody's attention was focused on the offender who dared to trespass and interrupt her majesty.

When Willow recognized the person, she sputtered and tried to cover her mouth with her chained hand. The entire room wore the same expression as her. The queen's face featured a small smile.

"Son."

Prince Slade sauntered into the room and stood next to Willow's cage. He looked at her, a look of betrayal in his eyes, and shock in hers.

He turned towards the queen.

"I demand that you let her go."

Another round of gasps.

"But my prince..." Byron stepped forward. "We cannot do that. This girl has potentially threatened your life and perjured herself in front of the queen. And on top of that, she denies the allegations and refuses to offer an explanation for her malicious actions. She is guilty and must be punished."

"Alright," Slade audibly exhaled. "Let me give an explanation on her behalf. She started the rumors because we are...lovers."

No one was nearly as startled as Willow. Does he not know what the word 'lover' means? Maybe he's desperate. She wanted to yell that she would never make love to him in a million years, but she sensed that he was trying to help her. So she bit her tongue.

"I love her," he continued, "however, I could not keep a lover's promise. I was not faithful to her. I had been with other women and it drove her mad," he glanced at Willow and then back to the queen. "Mother, you did always warn me about the rage of a woman. She spread those rumors about me out of spite."

The priest had a disgusted look on his face.

"You had an affair with a married woman?"

Another round of gasps was heard. Marriage was sacred for both vampires and witches, and it was frowned upon to dishonor it.

Willow tried to hide behind the curtain of her hair.

"Yes..." Slade answered. "You cannot punish her without punishing me."

The queen shook her head and a councilman, who was dressed in midnight blue colored robes, stepped forward.

"We have no means to know whether your claims are legitimate or not. How do we know you are telling the truth?"

"You can ask me whatever you please, councilman," Slade retaliated, "regarding my relationship with the lady. I will answer all your queries until you are satisfied."

"Where did you meet?"

Slade opened his mouth to answer but the councilman directed his attention toward the girl in the cage.

"I want her to answer."

Willow flustered a little.

"We...we met in a lodge."