Chapter 51

Five Months Later

Willow walked down the empty street at night. The dark atmosphere and dimmed yellow light bulbs allowed very little vision ahead. She held her coat tightly with her gloved hands and wrapped her arms around herself as she quickened her pace, knowing that a vampire was following her.

All that could be heard was the sound of her quick feet tapping against the concrete and the pounding of her heart.

The vampire, too, quickened his pace. There was no need for him to chase the prey, but the thrill of the hunt excited him. The vampire smirked as he saw the human turn into a narrow alley.

This should be easy, thought the predator while turning into the alley. He saw the human standing in the middle of the street. Having let go of the coat, she looked for something in the inside pocket.

The hunger of the vampire overruled the thrill of the hunt. Without wasting any time he lunged forward to kill her when everything stopped. The vampire felt a wooden stake piercing his back as blood trickled down and socked his clothes.

Willow turned around and looked at the vampire with no expression. She then looked at the person who stabbed him.

"You missed," she said to Kairav.

He stuck out his tongue.

"You can finish him off. I know how much you love the kill," he said.

Willow let out a sigh. Taking the wooden stake out of her coat she pierced the heart of the vampire without a second thought. He fell to the ground with a thud, dead.

***

After leaving the city, Willow and Kairav traveled back to the organization's hidden base. She walked up straight to her room on the second floor. Not many members lived in the establishment, only the ones who had no other place to call home.

Kairav stood leaning against the edge of the door to her room. His appearance hadn't changed much in the last six months except for the scar that was now running down his left cheek.

"Aren't you a little happy?" He asked observing her. "Every time we finish an assignment you quickly move on to the next. You are doing well, Willow. You should celebrate a little."

She paused whatever she was going to do and stared at him.

"How long is that going to last?"

He sighed.

"I know we live in dark times. I'm just trying to..."

"Trying to what?"

"Find something to live."

Half a year had passed since her world had collapsed and turned upside down. And for half a year she did nothing but train and become physically strong. When she was ready, Rick sent her on missions with Kairav since he was the only familiar face to her. She had killed dozens of vampires in six months.

Over time, the voices in her head got louder. And the louder they got, the more furious she became.

Her only hope was Wes.

Why don't you go to him then? Why don't you use magic to find him?

She shook her head.

Is it because you don't want him to see what you have become? A killer. First, you killed your father and brother, and now you kill strangers.

"No, I didn't kill them!"

Who else did?

Weeks passed and she tried to shut her thoughts completely. She would wake up, get ready, exercise and train, eat food, return to her room, practice spells, train some more, go out for her assignment at night, kill vampires, come back, go to sleep, and do everything all over again. She made sure to not have any disruptions in her routine. Like clockwork, she spent her days knowing exactly what she would do, that is until the meeting a few months later.