Chapter 18

Willow opened her eyes and found herself in the comfort of her bed. After sleeping like a baby, she yawned and stretched like a cat. She checked the time by grabbing the phone from her bedside table.

7:16 am.

She threw off her blanket and leaped out of bed. The discarded grey dress lying on the floor was the first thing she noticed. She carefully picked it up, folded it, and tucked it away in the back of her closet, making a mental note to have it dry-cleaned.

She walked outside her room and was met with silence. Another night when her roommate was absent. She was starting to wonder why Noelle bothered paying rent when all she did most of the time was stay out.

Willow left the apartment after finishing her morning routine and boarded her usual bus. She walked up the hill after the bus dropped her off. She enjoyed this aspect of her routine. Walking every day with the perfect view of manmade and nature.

Her steps had a spring to them.

'Normal life,' she reasoned.

Willow went to the college library after her classes. A safe haven filled with the soothing voices of the living and dead writers.

She went to the deserted section, sat on one of the small bean-bag chairs, her back against a shelf, and began reading.

"Mythology and Folklore?"

She looked up when she heard the slightly familiar voice and saw Kairav dressed in a white t-shirt with a light blue shirt over it, black jeans, and white shoes. She was loosely acquainted with him because of their common classes but had never really spoken to him.

He took a look at her, then at the book.

"Oh... yeah... 'Myths and Folklore,'" she stumbled.

"What are you reading about?"

"Oh, just witchcraft."

"I don't recall ever formally introducing myself. My name is Kairav. I believe we shared a communications class."

"I recognize you. I'm Willow," she said shaking his hand with a warm smile, though she didn't get up from the beanbag chair.

"You know, I noticed you in class." He took a seat in front of her. "Some of your projects and presentations are incredible. You are intelligent and skilled, and we would benefit from having you on our team."

"What team?"

"I'm a member of the 'The Tellers' club. We're looking for new members for the organizing committee, and I think you'd be a great fit," he said.

"Can you tell me what you do?" She asked, her brow furrowed.

He pointed to the book she was holding.

"We tell tales. Fiction, nonfiction, and basically any and all genres. Our team is also interested in folklore. We are gathering stories for our magazine. In addition, we produce videos for our website and plan events accordingly." A brief pause occurred. "Based on your choice of book, I thought this might be of interest to you. What do you say?"

"I...um... I'm not sure right now...I'm already too preoccupied with the internship...and..." she trailed off.

"Just consider it. There's no need to worry. You don't need to make a decision right now," he said as he walked away from her and into another section of the library.

She got up and followed him a few seconds later.

"Can you tell me where you get your stories?"

"Well," he said as he turned around. "I don't want to reveal the club's secret before even receiving confirmation of a prospective interview for membership."

She shook her head.

"I'll talk to your club's president about joining. Tell me now."

Kairav moved a little closer to her and whispered.

"There is a witch I know," he explained. "She calls herself a witch. She may be a regular impersonator, but she tells the best stories, and we publish some of the most interesting ones in our magazine."

"Could you take me to her? I want to meet her."

"Why?"

She sighed and shrugged her shoulders.

"Curiosity?"

Kairav dismissed it as a valid reason.

"Okay, I'll take you. But I must caution you not to react when you see her."

***

Willow followed Kairav down the hill and out to the city outskirts until they came to a cleared area with several tents set up. People conversed, drank, rehearsed lines, and laughed.

"They're entertainers," Kairav explained. "They put on shows all over the city. You might have seen them."

"I have. Once, when I was with Noelle."

Kairav led her to the last tent and pointed it out to her.

"She's in there."

Willow paused. She raised her hand to knock but quickly dropped it.

"Come in," she heard a voice say from the tent.

Willow took a step inside and noticed the red interior with a low desk in the center. A fourteen-year-old girl sat cross-legged behind the desk. Willow took a step back and stepped out.

"Are you kidding me?" she exclaimed as she turned to face Kairav.

He sighed and shrugged his shoulders.

"I warned you," he said. "I'm going to stay outside."

Willow took a deep breath and returned to the tent.

"Sit," the girl said as she tossed a pink cushion at Willow.

She did as the girl instructed.

"Are you a witch?" Willow questioned when she was at the same eye level as the girl.

"Would you like me to be one?"

"I'm...I'm sorry...This is obviously a joke," she said as she tried to get up, but her eyes widened when she realized she couldn't move.

The young lady waved her hand in front of her. Willow saw a small old woman with wrinkly skin, dark circles under her eyes, matted hair, and a floppy mouth. She could see the fourteen-year-old girl again after the woman waved her hand once more. And s he was also able to move again.

"Do you believe me now?" asked the witch.

Willow couldn't think of anything to say. The only thing she could do was nod.

"What do you want?"

"I...need help. But first, I'd like to apologize for my skepticism. I am a firm believer in witchcraft and am confident that it is not a hoax. That is why I have come to you. I'm looking for a method or something...anything that can prolong death."

The girl closed her eyes briefly.

"There is no cure for death. Nothing can be done to postpone the inevitable. Even a witch cannot do such a thing," she said. "You should discontinue such endeavors."

"There's got to be something—"

She was cut off by the witch.

"No."

Willow pressed her lips together.

"I appreciate your time," she said as she stormed out of the tent.