Chapter 26

Trying to pin down an accurate timeline for the Naruto universe is extremely complicated. Trying to figure out correct ages for everyone and figuring out how long a particular event took place is not easy. It's theorized that the mission that started the war was the one Kakashi's dad failed, which was why he was looked down upon so badly. I really like that theory so I ran with it. However, that needs to take place before Kakashi becomes a genin. This is why it needs to happen now in my story. It is also noted out there a lot that the third great shinobi war only lasted a few weeks or months at the most, which cannot happen due to timeline issues. Trying to figure out the age gap between Kakashi and Obito/Rin is hard because they graduate together, but it is stated that Kakashi graduates at the ripe age of five. I find it extremely hard to believe that they would pair up a five-year-old with two twelve-year-olds. It also shows that Rin clearly has a crush on him, which with that age difference would not work and would be creepy. I can't exactly see Obito at that age hating on a five-year-old either. So I needed Obito and Rin to graduate earlier, the age difference is still a bit odd, but not quite as bad. This way Obito and Rin will be nine turning ten when they graduate. For this story, the third great shinobi war is going to have to happen much longer than originally stated. Following Kakashi's age timeline, which is the easiest to follow, the war ends when he accidentally kills Rin which happens after Obito "dies". So, following Kakashi's age from the time he graduates to the time he accidentally kills Rin, ending the war, five years pass. For the sanity of trying to get through that confusing as hell timeline, I'm going to make the third great shinobi war start out strong for about a year before settling down for the next few years. Not stopping, but just going on in the background for a while. It'll then kick up once again the year that Kakashi is promoted to Jonin. Just trying to explain myself for the much-extended war. I have put so much research and time into this story it's not even funny. I have a seventy-two-slide PowerPoint presentation with a whole bunch of information, timelines, keeping track of everyone's age, what goes on in what year. It's extremely helpful now, but ugh it was a beast to try and start putting together. I'm still fiddling around with it when a new idea pops into my mind too, so it's always getting updated. Anyway, enough of my babbling rant-ish excuses, enjoy the chapter.

Kagome stared at the vest in her hands in a type of shock. She did it, she actually passed! The vest was beyond ugly, and it did not go with her usual mission outfits at all but she couldn't find it in herself to care. She felt nothing but pride in herself at the moment. She was officially a chunin. The ugly vest was what indicated that she had in fact passed. It made the tense past month worth it. She was now the youngest kunoichi to become a chunin in Konoha history. Take that doubters! Of course, there will probably be bitter people insisting that she cheated somehow, which wasn't even possible, but she could care less what those people thought. Jiraiya-sensei was beyond proud of her, gushing to the other sensei's about how his kid was the best. She had been the only leaf genin that had passed this time. She knew her brother would be proud, probably would cry about it when she got home. He could be such a crybaby child at times. Her friends will probably throw her a party when she gets back Honestly, she has the best friends ever. The people she cared about will be proud of her and that was all that mattered. She could care less what people she didn't care about though. She was trying to take a page from Kushina's playbook about not paying attention to the people that didn't matter to her.

Bee had passed as well, not that she had doubted he would. He was a very skilled shinobi. They had gotten together a few times a week the past month, either to train together or just go out for a bite to eat to get to know each other better. She had even convinced him to let her enter his mindspace a couple of times so she could introduce their hitchhikers to each other. Gyuki and Magatsuhi got along much better than she thought they would. She hadn't gotten to spend as much time with Bee as she would've liked to but the timeframe between the second and third rounds got moved up from two months to one because of the war. They wanted to finish this exam up as soon as possible and that was how long it would take for the farthest away village's Kage to get there. They wanted everyone to get back to their own village quickly and cleanly before the war really started to gain movement and travel back to the villages would be too dangerous. It sucked, but she understood their haste. Bee had agreed to trade addresses so they could write letters to each other. Oh, what she would give to have phones invented so she could call or text people whenever she wanted. There would be such long times in between their responses and it would suck but it was the best this world had to offer.