Chapter Six

The next couple of weeks passed pretty quickly and mostly in good relations. She was still sleeping on the couch though. It was possible that she might have given in earlier, but she was simply punishing him now. It had been her third night sleeping on the couch. She had woken up in the middle of the night only to find herself in her bed. Angrily she made her way back to the living room, ignoring just how comfy that been had been. She had very childishly in revenge only made herself breakfast that morning.

When Minato had woken up that morning, he didn't even bother checking Kagome's room. She was always up before him. She usually had breakfast waiting for him by the time he makes his way into the kitchen. To his surprise and slight apprehension, he saw Kagome sitting at the kitchen table. that wasn't so different, about the same as the last few days. No, what was different today was Kagome was nearly done eating. Usually, she waited for him. Then he noticed no plate waiting for him and her glare that didn't waver from him. He rubbed the back of his neck as he laughed awkwardly.

"Well, I hade to try." He said completely un-sorry.

Kagome had given a little huff in response but otherwise said nothing else.

After that Minato started taking her into the village. He showed her some of the sights, places to eat or shop at, and he even introduced her to a few of his friends. He took her back to the hospital a few times for regular check-ups, she still had to take it a bit easy until her back completely scars over. After a couple of days, their routine changed. Even though Minato had the three months off from out of village missions, he didn't want to get lazy or rusty. So, he started taking her to his usual training grounds. Kagome would spend her time there split between reading under a tree nearby and watching Minato train in fascination. In just a couple more weeks she would get her clean bill of health from the hospital and she could ask him to train her as well. Though she should probably finally accept the room before that. Her doubts were still slightly haunting her mind though.

She had gone to talk to the Hokage the night before, to give and get a report on what had happened the past couple weeks. The Hokage had given her false story to the council and they seemed to have bought it. She had told him about what she had been up to, who she had met, and what she had managed to learn about the world so far. Then the topic of Midoriko had come up and worry had started to build in her mind at the Hokage's question.

"What happened to Midoriko after she sent you here? Is she gone for good?"

Kagome had gone pale at the implication. She had never even thought of the possibility that she wasn't gone forever. She had felt the amount of power Midoriko had used to open the portal and then blast Kikyo away from her. she had vaporized after that, disappearing altogether. Kagome had simply assumed that Midoriko had used up the rest of her power and that had been that. But what if she only used up the power she had at the time? Midoriko's soul was obviously still within the Shikon, which the Hokage had helped her turn back into a necklace for her to wear. What if Midoriko could gather up her energy once more and try again? Send her somewhere else that she would have even less of a chance to survive. There would probably not be another convenient Sage around to save her. Plus, her body now had chakra channels; which meant she needed chakra in her body to survive. She had read about people dying from using up too much of their chakra. If she was sent somewhere without chakra, she would most likely die. She had been extremely lucky ended up here where the leader of the village had been so understanding. There was no guarantee that would happen again. If Midoriko could gather energy to try again she would be completely screwed.

They decided to list Midoriko down as a missing-nin. Just in case she found a way to show back up. She was listed as an extremely dangerous kunoichi with an unknown kekkei genkai. The only way to truly get rid of Midoriko was to make a pure wish on the jewel, which as stated before was truly an impossible thing. Or, she could replace her soul in the gem with another of equal power. For one, Kagome refused to force somebody into that eternal hell. Secondly, the only person Kagome knew of was herself. Even Kikyo wouldn't have been strong enough if they were still in the same dimension. The only reason that she knew her soul was powerful enough was that the jewel had been actively trying to replace the souls within it. Naraku was to take the place of Magatsuhi and herself to take the place of Midoriko. Kagome would rather be the protector of the jewel for the rest of her life, and bringing the burden to any next reincarnations she may have than take Midoriko's place within the jewel.