Chapter One

Relief flooded through Kagome as she sunk to the ground. She looked to the sky to see that the dark clouds that had summoned during the fight, finally started parting, showing the sun once again. Somewhat hysterical laughter broke out of her, they won. She couldn't believe it, they actually won. She glanced around the bloody and destroyed battlefield. Sango was clinging to Kohaku who was hugging her back just as desperately. With Naraku's death, his control over the boy was gone. Miroku hovered protectively behind the two crying siblings, giving them time to safely reunite. Shippo and Kirara were curled together near Miroku's feet, both completely exhausted. Koga and his wolves were collapsed in exhaustion a few meters away, wild smiles on their faces. Sesshomaru and his crew were at the edge of the field, getting ready to head out already. He had done what he came to do and now that he was finished, he could leave. Kikyo, looking slightly worse for wear, had also sat down to rest. They had become friends and allies half a year back, the two had become more like sisters recently. The bit of soul she had stolen from Kagome those few years back had blossomed into her own soul. Kikyo was once again alive, and her own person.

Kagome heard someone plop down behind her and she glanced back at Inuyasha as he laid down next to her. The rash lovable idiot had injuries all over but given some time to rest and heal he would be fine. Kagome wasn't without injury herself. One of Naraku's tentacles had gotten in a pretty good shot and she was sporting a pretty good gash going down her back. It started at her right shoulder and ended near her left hip; she had been trying to dive out of the way. Obviously, she had been a bit slow. Now that she was consciously thinking about it the pain flared and she realized she would have to get that wrapped up and healed as soon as possible if she didn't want to bleed out. That would be the worst way to go. Finally, win against the enemy only to die of blood loss. Yeah, that would suck.

"We finally did it." Inuyasha sighed in relief. He rolled what he had gotten from Naraku's corpse in his hand for a bit before handing it over to Kagome, "Here you go Kags."

Kagome took the portion of the Shikon jewel that Naraku had collected over the last two years. With her other hand, she grabbed the jar that held all of the shards they had collected. She made eye contact with Inuyasha and he nodded his head seriously. So, with a deep breath of determination, "Okay, let's do this."

She dumped the shards out of the jar into her hand and a new sense of stress started building within her. This was the first time she has held the entire jewel in her hand since the day she accidentally shattered it. Now she was going to finally fuse it back together. Kikyo had explained the specifics on how to go through with it a few months ago. She held the shards tight in her hand and directed the very last of her Ki into the jewel itself. A glow surrounded her hand and as her Ki nearly hit zero, she cut it off. With tense anticipation, she unclenched her fist and stared in awe at the complete Shikon jewel. She could already feel its increased power. For a few precious seconds, everything was perfect. The enemy was defeated, nobody from their side had died, and the jewel was once again complete.

So, of course, that is the moment everything went to shit. The jewel started glowing on its own and only a few feet away Midoriko started manifesting. As she became more solid and easier to see Kagome and Inuyasha could see the deranged look in her eyes. With the screech of an avenging spirit, she launched herself at Kagome. Kagome let out a screech of pain as the gash on her back met the ground.

"You shattered me! So, I shall shatter you." Midoriko shrieked at her as her hands wrapped around Kagome's throat.

Kagome clawed at Midoriko's arms desperately, she could already feel her oxygen being cut off. Inuyasha let out a snarl of anger as he dived at the person attacking his best friend. To his horror, he went right through her, though her grip around Kagome's didn't lessen. The ground underneath Kagome went from solid to wavering and she started sinking down. Kikyo started rushing towards the two struggling Mikos. If Midoriko truly was incorporeal to Inuyasha her mind came up with two possible scenarios. First, only Midoriko was able to touch Kagome and if that was true then her new friend was going to be lost to the newly opened up portal underneath her. Second, only those with spiritual powers were able to make contact. Kikyo hoped that was the one as she didn't want to lose Kagome. Kagome was important to Inuyasha, they were best friends, and she didn't want Inuyasha to lose someone else. Plus, she was starting to see the girl as a younger sister type figure. Kikyo lunged at the back of the vengeful spirit. A smirk appeared on her face as she was able to grab a fistful of hair. She pulled with all her might, trying to drag her off of Kagome.