Chapter 28

Sorry for the long wait and the short chapter. I have had writer's block so bad for the past few months, and I've had some difficult family matters to work through. I really am trying my best to get chapters out for my stories but it is definitely slow going. I recently got a new laptop so I'm hoping that will give me a bit of pep and motivation to write my stories. Well, anyway I hope you enjoy the chapter.

Jiraiya has to hold back a chuckle, he can practically feel his student's annoyed glare on his back. They've been traveling for a couple of weeks now and he still hasn't told her their training mission's end goal. Even with her multitude of attempts at getting it out of him. With some of her leading questions, he knows that she at the very least expects something, but he's not going to confirm anything for her. He knows that she isn't going to initially like the plan, so he's putting off explaining it until the last possible moment. Simply to avoid her ire, his student is a very scary little girl. This is for the best, however, no matter how angry it's going to make his student.

The rumors and accusations coming in the past few years about Orochimaru aren't good. He does want to believe in the good potential of his old teammate, but for him, there are simply too many rumors for him to ignore. Especially after he heard about the ones about human experimentation. He doesn't believe in coincidences, and he's sure as hell not going to risk his kid's safety. He knows the Hokage is holding off judgment until the last moment. The Hokage doesn't want to admit that one of his own personal student went bad. If the snake sanin has gone to the dark side, Konoha would be forced to either imprison him, banish him making him a missing-nin, or kill him. None of those options would be good for Konoha. Orochimaru would not go down quietly either, there would be casualties. Lots of casualties. It would be a huge black mark on Konoha's reputation as well, which is something they desperately want to avoid. Especially right now with them in the middle of a shinobi war. His old teammate hasn't completely lost his way yet, as far as he's aware anyway. So, they can put off the whole situation until the war is finished with. He still isn't going to risk the safety of Kagome so they had to come up with a plan. The last thing they want is to risk the scenario of the jewel reaching out to fully corrupt the sanin. So, the Hokage and himself had decided to play it safe and take Kagome out of the village completely during his stay. Future unplanned visits would need to be dealt with at those moments. At least with this one, they had enough forwarning the make a plan. They weren't sure how long Orochimaru plans on staying, so they had to think of something that would last at least a couple of months, to play it safe. Better to keep her away longer than not enough. He will keep his kid safe.

So, a plan that had originally gotten pushed back because of the war is now being brought back to the present due to an internal threat. Kagome is already a phenomenal healer with her Ki, but she's still a novice when it comes to medical ninjutsu. She also has plenty of theoretical knowledge of traditional medical operations but she has minimal hands-on experience with it. And the person he's bringing her to is inarguably the best person to learn from... if Kagome can convince her to get past the mental barrier she's locked herself behind. He does find it ironic that he is bringing his student to one of his teammates to get her away from the other.

"Jiraiya-Sensei, can you at least tell me where we are going? We've been walking seemingly pointlessly for weeks." Kagome whines out.

A smirk pulls at his lips, "We're almost there Kiddo. Our destination is the upcoming village." Oh god, he hopes that she's actually in this village because if she's not and he just lied to Kagome he's a dead man walking.

Kagome immediately perks up, "Really?" for the past few weeks they've gone from village to village. Jiraiya would order her to stay at an Inn while he asks around about... something. Oh, how she's been tempted to try and follow him, to figure out what's going on. But Jiraiya always knows if she's following him and she'd rather not make him annoyed at her. When he'd get back from his info gathering he'd be either frustrated or exasperated. They'd do a bit of training before calling it a night. Then they'd leave the next morning to continue their seemingly aimless journey to the next village. Only to repeat the whole process. It's not like they're not getting anything done, so Kagome can't really complain. But, Kagome is tired of traveling aimlessly, she'd feel so much better if he would just give her their destination. This reminds her way too much of walking around Japan looking for jewel shards or rumors about Naraku's whereabouts. She half expects to be ambushed by demons at any moment. Jiraiya actually seems to be taking his job as a teacher seriously for once, which is beyond suspicious and actually makes her more worried. Every night he puts aside a few hours to give her some serious training, mainly working on Taijutsu and ninjutsu. He's been helping her unlock an easier-to-learn lightning release that won't electrocute her, so she can combine it with her water whip jutsu. She cannot wait for that deadly combination when she gets it down. However, this whole secrecy thing is starting to annoy the absolute shit out of her. Jiraiya has never kept secrets from her before, so why start now?