Chapter Five

Inoichi dragged them through a brunch of houses and to a partially fenced off area of the woods. There was a medium-sized shed that was locked up that Shikaku approached. He pulled a key out of a pouch attached to his leg, unlocked it and disappeared inside. She heard him rummaging around inside of it before he started to address her directly.

"For now, Kagome-chan I want you to stay behind the fences. Once I start filling the bins the herd will start making their way over. Until we are sure the deer are okay with you, I want to make sure that you'll be safe."

Kagome pouted slightly but nodded in understanding, "Alright Shikaku-san, I promise." Shikaku nodded back to her and she watched him start to fill the few food bins. Shikaku and Inoichi started talking between themselves, unconsciously paying less attention to Kagome herself.

Kagome turned her attention to the deer that were slowly starting to show up in the small clearing. She cooed as she saw the fawns staggering after their mothers. They were so young yet that they still had a bit of trouble walking. The fact that the fawns were here said a lot about the Nara's. The deer felt safe enough to bring their young along. Most left their young in a single spot until they were steady enough on their feet. When she saw the dominant buck exit the tree line, a mischievous smirk appeared on her face. That single buck was her barrier between her cuddling with the baby deer. Well, it looks like it was time to cheat a little. Unknown and unnoticed to the two people supposed to be watching her, she expanded her aura just a tad to get the attention of the leader of the herd.

She smiled slightly when she saw the deer turned his attention to her, it was working. She made sure her aura didn't have any hostility in it at all. As the buck left his sentinel position and started making his way over to her, she glanced at the two older boys. They weren't even glancing in her direction, perfect. They were busy filling the last bin with the oats and cut-up apples. Good, they wouldn't notice until it was too late. Kagome climbed over the fence as quickly and quietly as she could.

The buck leaned down and sniffed her slightly, before slightly nuzzling her face and giving her a small lick on the cheek. He then started corralling her towards the rest of the herd. A huge grin split her face as soon as she got into the middle of the herd. She plopped herself onto the ground and started petting and cuddling the fawns. She let out a few quiet giggles as the adult females started licking her face and arms, their tongues tickling her. Kagome didn't care about anything else at that moment besides being lavished in attention by the deer.

It took a few minutes before either Inoichi or Shikaku noticed that something was wrong. Shikaku frowned in confusion, "Why aren't they coming to get their food?"

Inoichi shrugged as he glanced over to where they had left Kagome and his eyes went wide in a slight panic, "Where is Kagome-chan?"

Shikaku quickly glanced around before his eyes caught sight of the kid's pink shirt in the middle of the herd of deer, "Uh... just who is this kid Inoichi?" he asked in a slightly shocked tone. Honestly, how did she even get over there?

"What do you mea..." he stopped when he followed Shikaku's gaze. He broke out in laughter as he saw Kagome currently being licked to death by the herd that usually didn't like outsiders, "Oh yeah, Kagome-chan's a special one. That's for sure."

Kagome looked up when she heard her name and sent a large smile towards the two boys, "They like me!" she giggled out as she hugged a fawn closer to her.

Inoichi sighed in fondness, "Why don't you bring them over here so they can eat Kagome-chan." Shikaku glanced at his friend out of the corner of his eye. How was he so fond of the kid already?

"Kay." She sang out as she got up. The dominant buck followed close behind her, butting her shoulder lightly with his head. Like he was asking her where she was going. Kagome giggled again as she petted his neck softly, "Come on mister deer, I'm sure you guys are hungry." She led them to the food bins and they finally took their attention off of her and started eating. Since the fawns were still too young to eat anything other than milk they lingered around Kagome, basking in her attention.