Chapter 9

Sorry for the short chapter, but I couldn't figure out how to transition into the next part without it sounding really crappy. Enjoy the chapter!

Kagome shifted uneasily as she was firmly placed between Inoichi and Shikaku at the main gate. She was slightly nervous, not really understanding why she was here. Apparently, their teammate was finally coming back from a two-month-long mission. She hadn't been able to meet Choza before he headed out on his mission and Inoichi seemed really excited to introduce the two of them. To pass the time Kagome looked with interest outside of the gates. She had never been to this side of town before, she didn't want it to seem like she had been thinking of escaping. So, because of that, she had never been to the gates before. She had never seen what laid beyond Konoha. The answer was trees. Lots of trees. The books she had read had definitely not been wrong. Konoha was hidden somewhere in the middle of a large forest. She was itching to be able to leave the gates and explore the forest. It looked as dense as the forests in the feudal era and she was looking forward to relaxing in the semi-familiar place.

"Ah, here they come!" Inoichi exclaimed happily. He had been wanting to introduce Kagome to their final team member for a while. He had introduced her to Shikaku first because he had the most potential to help her out. By the time he wanted to introduce her to Choza as well, he had been deployed on a long-term mission.

"Why did we have to wait for him at the gate?" Shikaku sighed from his position leaning on the post.

"Because I want to go to Yakiniku Q and have lunch together. Kagome and Choza can meet. Come on Shikaku, my treat." Inoichi playfully pouted at him, causing Kagome to giggle in amusement. She had seen Inoichi around others and he was much more stoic and serious. Around people that he trusted and cared about he would turn into a five-year-old.

"Do they have good food there?" Kagome asked calmly as she leaned up against Shikaku. He let out a little huff but didn't say anything otherwise. She hadn't gone out to eat much since she got here. Minato and herself had gone to a ramen place a couple of times, but other than that they made their own food more. It was healthier and it gave them more time together.

"You haven't been there yet?" Inoichi asked in astonishment.

"Nope, don't really eat out all that much."

Inoichi grinned over to Shikaku, "See Kagome hasn't been over there yet. Even more of a reason to go."

"Fine, whatever." Shikaku groaned.

"Yay." Inoichi and Kagome cheered together.

A few minutes later Choza and his group made it to the gate. He smiled happily at his two friends, "Hey guys, what are you doing here?"

Kagome glanced at the large man curiously. He had purple wavy stripes on his cheeks and for a moment Kagome's breath caught. They reminded her so vividly of Sesshomaru's markings. She violently shook those thoughts away.

"You've been gone for a while; thought I'd treat you to lunch," Inoichi said.

Choza gave a large grin, "Sounds great, I'm starving." Then something caught his attention out of the corner of his eye. There was a small girl leaning up against Shikaku. He had never seen her before, who was she? He sent a questioning look to his lazy friend.

Shikaku sighed, "This is Kagome, she's around a lot now."

Kagome elbowed him in the stomach and he gave a grunt of pain, "Don't say that like I'm a pain you jerk."

"You are a pain." Shikaku teased, rubbing his stomach.

Choza moved his questioning gaze to Inoichi, he hadn't really answered who she was. Did Shikaku take on a ward or something?