Chapter 5 - Battle of Teth

Warning: Brief mention of self-harm.

Author's Note: We have finished a second tribute for Vader on our YT channel. Check it out if you're interested. :P No spaces in the link: youtu . be / TrRylvLR0fE

~ Amina Gila

The fight doesn't last long; Ahsoka is already back inside with Rotta when the monastery doors finally close, and Master Skywalker slides under. The deafening crash echoes through the darkened hallways, and then all is silent. It's the same deafening silence of the end of a battle, where adrenaline slowly fades from his body, while he still knows everyone isn't safe. That it's only temporary.

A shiver runs down her spine. They've backed themselves into a corner, even if it was the only way. She runs forwards almost immediately to rejoin her... hopefully master. She still doesn't know. "Master?"

"Hey, Snips," he replies almost automatically as he stands up. "I'm okay." He turns to Rex next, asking for the numbers. Sixty-seven. Ahsoka shuffles impatiently. They need to hurry and get the Huttlet out of here. She knows the clones are people, but they were made for this. Honestly, she doesn't really get what the deal is.

"Rex, you and the boys try to hold off the droids here. Ahsoka and I will try to find another route out with the Hutt. We'll be the last line of defense if it comes to it."

The clones are already moving, lining the walls and preparing for battle.

The silence is grim, a knowledge that many more deaths are yet to come before the battle is won. That most of the people left standing won't make it out.

No one speaks. There is nothing to say.

Ahsoka can feel the grim determination that's settled over all of them. She just wants to move. Their mission is to get Rotta off-planet and back to Tatooine. She doesn't really get why her master is stalling. This is her first battle, though, so she doesn't fully understand what all is involved. Her talk with Rex earlier proved that. It doesn't help that she's exhausted.

Master Skywalker moves forwards, walking through his men, pausing by each of them. It's obvious he cares for them deeply. Vaguely, Ahsoka wonders why. They're just soldiers. This was their purpose. Their loyalty is surprising, even for her. They're going to die, and they know it, but they don't care. They're doing this for Anakin. Why does he spend so much time with them, knowing they're going to die, anyway?

Shifting impatiently, she waits for him to return.

***

Rex is last. Anakin rests a hand on his shoulder, and the captain returns the gesture. The closest thing the clones ever have to a hug. He lets himself, for one brief moment, wish for a world without the war. Where he wasn't Rex's superior. A world where they could freely call each other brothers. Where he could have someone who he always knows would have his back, outside the battlefield.

It conveys more than a million words could. This is the last battle they – many of them – will fight together. These are his men, his to lead and take care of. No matter what, he'll remember them all. As long as Anakin is a general, they'll have a place to belong. Unlike he ever did. Je's proud these clones are his men. It's something he's always been careful to let them know. He knows how it feels for everyone to shrug him off, to never take him seriously. He knows how much everyone needs praise. He never hesitates to give it. But he never, ever gets any.

With one final regretful glance, Anakin motions for Ahsoka and Artoo to come along before sprinting into the darkness, trying to suppress the thoughts nagging at him.