Chapter 22 - Breaking

Author's Note: Sometimes, writing with the Council is cool. Sometimes, I think they would be interesting villains... but I usually try to minimize them since I... sometimes find it too triggering. I feel the serious need to point out, though, that despite how the Council is acting, they are genuinely trying their best to do what they think is right. They don't have the clearer, bigger picture that we do, knowing far more of what's happening in the galaxy than they do.

~ Rivana Rita

The dreams stopped, Rex noticed, though everything with him feels more... settled and less confusing now. As if whatever bits and pieces he was getting has finally settled down on some subconscious level, laying themselves out in his mind. He knows things, sometimes, and gets odd senses of déjà vu. He doesn't know if he's the only one, and though he wishes he could do more, he understands his General's reasoning. He definitely doesn't hold it against him.

Rex doesn't understand how this... Force works, but he knows it's different with his general than the other Jedi. He doesn't understand it, but it doesn't really matter. He worries for Anakin sometimes, but this is his General, so his concerns are natural, as is the General's ability to take care of himself.

But the memories he has of this much darker future are far more visible in his mind. There's mostly flashes and bits and pieces of memories, but occasionally, he'll get solid images, feelings when he's with people he would've once known. He knows what would've happened to Echo. He almost wishes he didn't, but General Skywalker was right that they can only use this knowledge to help.

They already are.

***

Truthfully, Obi-Wan hadn't wanted to tell the Council without Anakin's agreement, but this is far too important to remain quiet about. They were sent out again, right after the Malevolence, but now, it's been a while, and he, at least, can try to correct his former padawan's mistake. Sometimes, it feels like that's all he ever does – chase after Anakin, cleaning up whatever it is his former padawan left behind. Somehow, it always seems to be something. And he doesn't understand it, because Anakin is perfectly thorough when he wants to be.

Frankly? It's a very, very awkward thing to explain to the Council, especially considering Obi-Wan himself never told them when he should have.

Master Yoda, predictably, is the only one who doesn't seem surprised when Obi-Wan finally explains it all.

"And you never told us sooner?" Of course, that's Windu's first response.

"I had no reason to suspect Anakin would not do it himself," Obi-Wan replies, annoyed. He is, admittedly, worried about what the Council will do, but what matters is that they know.

"And why has he not spoken of this to us?" Master Plo inquires, "We could have made a difference long ago."

"He appears to have lost faith in the Council, the reasons for which he has never entirely explained," Obi-Wan answers, "He avoids it every time I ask him, but punishing him for it, I believe would work in reverse."

"He must know such arrogance can be dangerous," Windu points out – he's always irritable when it comes to Anakin.

"He does," Obi-Wan replies, "He confronted it himself, when his encounter with the Malevolence went... downhill. I permitted him to search for Master Plo, because he said that is what he did before."

"We have some information, at least," Plo says.

"Had we utilized it earlier, we may not need to worry as much about being unable to catch the Sith off-guard," Windu scowls. "Now, we have little knowledge about whether the battles he knew will be the same." Now that it's laid out, Obi-Wan can't help thinking he should've mentioned it a long time ago.