Chapter 24 - Gunray

Author's Note: I'm enjoying screwing with Anakin. >:)

~ Rivana Rita

He should not be so surprised when the Council decides it would be a good idea to send him to bring Gunray to Coruscant. It's pointless since Anakin has no idea exactly what transpired before, but they don't care. It's not that he's complaining. It's just... that Ahsoka is currently with Master Unduli, except they're both with Obi-Wan... and Anakin is here with Barriss.

And he doesn't judge her for what she did in the future, but he still finds himself watching his back all the time, and he can't help expecting her to betray them somehow.

He just really, really does not want to talk to Barriss right now.

At least she doesn't know what happened, but that doesn't go too far, seeing as she won't know why Anakin doesn't like interacting with her.

Ventress will, of course, attack, and Anakin is prepared for that. She'll be fortunate if she makes it off here alive herself. Though he admittedly can see why she's upset with the Jedi, it's not enough to excuse how she embraced the Dark Side and became what she is today.

Assuming Ventress is the one to attack, of course.

Anakin himself just needs to get to Dooku. The others are pointless.

They have Gunray at least, which should be a lead to uncovering Sidious. That is one hope Anakin clings to fiercely. He and Barriss are currently trying to question Gunray. The Neimoidian is stubborn, to say the least, but Anakin has dealt with this before, and they need answers.

Gunray is a coward enough that it makes it easy to get information out of him. Anakin threatens to drug him which will make him talk, and that's enough to make Gunray start talking on his own. He doesn't give them much before the Separatists attack. He's just admitted that the Separatists get information from some of the top people in the Republic when Anakin is commed with news of that attack – he had felt the jolt of the cruiser a moment before.

"It's Grievous," one of the clones in the area tells him, and that's all Anakin needs to know to give Barriss orders to stay there, along with a warning that he has a bad feeling about the Senate Guard Captain Argyus – which he still does, though he's seen no signs of betrayal yet – before he takes off to join the fight.

This is the second time he encountered Grievous, and he never once met him before. That's... unusual. It seems like he and Obi-Wan have all but swapped roles in that regard.

He doesn't know why he never expected that. Of course, things will largely be different. Though Anakin knows Ventress will probably be here, too, which isn't good. Barriss probably won't be able to fight her alone.

The trip to the attack point takes far longer than Anakin expected, but he takes the time to meditate anyway, to gather the Force in around himself, letting it wrap around and fuel him. They can't lose Gunray this time. Anakin has failed to stop far too much already. He wasn't able to stop the Malevolence faster. He couldn't save all of Domino Squad. He's only worsened everything with Ahsoka.

Fighting Grievous didn't go well on the Malevolence, but there's no choice now. Anakin must deal with him.

It would be best if Anakin could just get rid of him, permanently.

The cyborg is, of course, slaughtering his way through all the clones in the hangar when Anakin arrives. He lashes out with the Force, hurling Grievous backwards. He slides back, stabbing his lightsabers into the ground to slow himself, snarling.

Anakin draws on the Force to carry him, and he jumps across the distance between them, lightsaber ignited.

Grievous stands, making a sound that Anakin thinks is supposed to be a laugh. It sounds more like a cough. If he weren't the monster he is, Anakin thinks he might find some sympathy for him – it's clear enough that his lungs and everything inside there was badly damaged in whatever happened to him. Whatever made him lose himself entirely. Maybe it was once a person, but it's not anymore – there is nothing left here, except blind bloodlust. "Anakin Skywalker," he croaks, pulling himself to his full, towering height. Anakin looks up at him, expression impassive. "Perhaps it is true that you have not known fear. I will teach it to you."