Chapter 7 - Moments Like These

They continue trading blows beneath the setting suns. Except the weight Anakin's carrying is slowing him down, more annoying than anything. He stumbles, slightly unsteady, and leaps back, clear of the Sith's next blow.

Anakin doesn't give Dooku a chance to react, instead throwing out his hands and lifting a whirlwind of sand from the ground, channeling it towards the Sith. It's blocked by a Force-shield, of course, and Anakin jumps clear when Dooku sends it back towards him. He's lucky there's really not much to throw here, because the Count is much too good with telekinesis. The area is open, and it gives Anakin the advantage out here. To a point.

Anakin leaps at him again, his lightsaber raised in what should be a killing blow. The one thought consuming his mind is to end this here and now, except Dooku spins around him last moment, easily avoiding the blow. The red blade slashes across his backpack. Anakin stumbles forwards but swings around, shoving the Sith's lightsaber away.

"You've failed, Jedi. I have just killed Jabba's son."

"You wish," Anakin hisses. He kicks Dooku back, throwing him down the side of the hill. Anakin reaches up, undoing one of the backpack straps and tossing it on the ground, letting the rocks spill out. It feels good to have it off. He knows Dooku probably didn't fall for it – he didn't last time – but it doesn't matter. It got him to come to Anakin instead of Ahsoka. She'd be dead otherwise. She may be good, but not even the Ahsoka he trained is good enough to hold off Dooku. "You're too late. The Huttlet's with my Padawan. Safely back at Jabba's palace." Unlikely, but he can hope.

The Count rises ever gracefully. "You'll note I didn't ask where she was." He speaks casually as though he's not talking about the only people Anakin knows fully trust him.

Anakin shifts back into his fighting stance, glaring, the Force swirling around him.

"I assure you, my forces are strong enough to catch your insignificant little Padawan."

Insignificant?! Anakin remembers how satisfying it was to crush the Sith's neck with his bare hands and is suddenly tempted to do it again. Oh, it would be so satisfying, even if it makes him feel sick that he could even feel that way. "She's more skilled than you think," he grits out. "She's strong enough to defeat whatever pathetic droids you sent after her." He lunges without a second thought, sprinting across the sandy slope, and their blades clash.

"A droid, perhaps." Dooku seems almost mildly amused, "But not an assassin."

Not a –? Ventress. Of course. Why didn't he realize it sooner? Anakin stills. How could he not have known she was here before? He was so focused on Dooku he didn't think to reach farther. Ahsoka isn't nearly good enough to fight her, not yet. Even if Ahsoka does get past her, with or without Rotta, Jabba will... He won't – ever – let that Hutt lay a hand on her. He should stay, stay and fight Dooku to the end, but he just got her back. He won't lose her, and he won't let Rex and his men die, whatever the cost. He won't let anyone hurt them.

He shoves Dooku away from himself without a second thought, turning and sprinting across the hilltop to the speeder. Dooku might have tried to give chase, but the engine is already firing up and the speeder turning, zipping across the desert. Should he have stayed and fought Dooku to the end? Yes. It's what any true Jedi would do. Maybe that's why they don't trust him. But Ahsoka is in danger, and nothing will stop him from helping her. He's not going to put her at risk simply to gain the Council's approval. Her safety is more important.

***

Ahsoka doesn't know exactly how far they are to the palace when she senses something. A presence, dark and cold, one swirling with rage. It's not the same darkness Dooku has – it's too uncontrolled. She comes to a stop, scanning the area. "Someone's waiting for us," she warns.