Chapter 32 - Answers

Author's Note: Next chapter will be on November 16th. :) We're almost at the end. ^-^

~ Amina Gila

It's been a couple weeks since Mustafar, and Ahsoka has been by his side every step of the way. She's constantly hovering over him, trying to help care for him, and Anakin wishes so desperately he could care for her the same way. She deserves it, deserves the world, but there's nothing he can do.

He feels better, significantly, though there's a deep scar across his chest from the lightsaber. Sidious could easily have taken out his heart.

It certainly isn't pretty, but it's not like anyone will see – except Padme – but it doesn't hurt anymore, and that's what matters.

"I don't think this is a good idea," Ahsoka insists fiercely as they walk down the halls. There are droids everywhere, and it's making his skin crawl. He itches to lash out and crush them, for threatening Ahsoka by their very existence, but that will make this worse.

"We don't have much choice," Anakin replies, squeezing her shoulder. "I'll be fine. I'm not trying to make enemies. We have to end the war, and I have to get you out. He asked to talk to me alone, and if you're there, too..."

"Palpatine used to do that!" Ahsoka snaps back, crossing her arms.

"I know." It hurts, and it's true. Anakin doesn't trust himself in that room with Dooku, either. But this is what Ahsoka's been saying all this time. She's upset that he was leaving her out, so maybe just this once, he shouldn't. If this is for Ahsoka, he needs to start by not hurting her. Besides, she has a point. Dooku could be planning a double game, could be intending to use Ahsoka against him, and he'd have to separate them, first. "You can come."

Ahsoka blinks, twitching back. "Really?"

"I promised," he reminds, "You can come unless he orders you out. Just try not to make him angry."

Ahsoka huffs. "He's a Sith."

"That doesn't mean everything," Anakin reminds. "If I can be better, anyone can."

She starts opening her mouth, about to ask what he's talking about, and Anakin realizes the slip-up too late, but then, the door to Dooku's office slides open. Anakin has never been here before, and it's as large and beautiful as the rest of the place, even if it's just as sinister.

It's dim, and the walls are primarily green, though the windows are yellow. It feels of the Dark Side, of Dooku, and there's an icy-hard edge to it that makes Anakin's skin crawl. In the past, that presence meant nothing but pain, even if in this timeline, he hasn't made a move to hurt Anakin or even Ahsoka, no matter how easy it'd be for him to do.

"Skywalker," he says, as Anakin steps inside, "I believe I requested your padawan remain outside."

"Wherever I go, she goes," he replies shortly. It's far harder than it should be to say that so firmly while looking the Sith in the eye, but much to Anakin's surprise, he doesn't object.

"Very well," he says instead. "Enter."

They step inside, approaching his desk, and Anakin pauses some feet away. Ahsoka's looking around, taking in the surroundings with something half-disgusted, half-awed. Anakin relates to both. This place is so fancy, but it makes him sick thinking about how many planets Dooku left with nothing.

"What is it you wanted to talk to me about?" Anakin inquires, rigid. He can't relax, not here, not with Dooku so close.

"What are your intentions from now?" Dooku asks.