A Bloody Business

Packing some supplies, Alexei and I set out to leave the dead city behind. It was silent at first as we walked, till Alexei spoke softly. "You know... a part of me wants to leave the city, run as far away from it as I can. But at the same time, I feel like something's trying to keep me here." Looking around, he shuttered. "It's kind of spooky in a way."

"Well, once you've left it behind, I can assure you, you'll be glad you're gone." He just hummed a response, and looked down at the bodies with a solome face. Then, knitting his eyebrows together, looked to the sky with a determined stare. The kid remembered what I told him. I ruffled his hair as we walked on.

It took about half a day to finally get out of Milan. When we were out, Alexei had noticeably relaxed a little, and I can say, it definitely felt better. It's not just about him leaving behind the trauma, but leaving the stench and sight of decaying bodies. Leaving that city would make even the most downtrodden man feel a little light hearted. Hell, it even made me feel good! But as we walked away from the dead city and into a new one, of course that moment had to be cut short with a bullet slicing past my ear.

Without a second thought, I grabbed Alexei and dove behind the corner of a building, the ting of bullet's following close behind. The boy I held between my legs was violently trembling. Cradling his head against my chest, I stroked his hair gently in an attempt to calm him down. "Alexei, it's going to be okay, but I need you to stay calm. Alright?" I felt him nod softly against my chest. "Good, now I'm going to have to let you go." He gave another small nod, and I moved him to my side. Now, time to deal with the bastards firing at us.

Cautiously, I peaked over the side, and ducked back almost instantly to avoid firing bullets, but got a good enough look to see there were at least two people. But honestly there could be two or there could be twenty people situated in the nooks of the buildings. I muttered the words, "Trace on." and an assault rifle materialized in my hand. Typically, I preferred my bow, but this was not a good position and situation for it. I knew they would be rounding us, so I acted quick. With sharp eyes, perfect aim, and years of practice, I shot down the soldiers quickly. The two were down, the rest unknown. After killing the two and pulling back, I peaked over the edge again. There was nothing. Taking a step out to get a better view, I quickly regretted my decision when a bullet bit into my arm. I pulled back hissing in pain.

"Emiya! Are you okay!?" The worried boy was still crouched down against the wall.

"Fine." I said more pissed off than in pain. Before I could say anything more proud about how miniscule a gunshot wound was to me, I was cut off by a yell. It was quiet before rapid fire broke out, bullets coming from both sides of the street. Seems like a third party decided to join. "Stand up, Kid." My words a stern order. Alexei was on his feet instantly. "Stay close to me." I lead him deeper down the narrow street we were on, the boy at my heels. But my luck seemed to be wearing thin, when footsteps sounded in the direction we were headed. We were then trapped between a rock and a hard place; on coming soldiers, or a rain of bullets. I looked up, scanning for an escape route there, but I was too late.

"Feeze." I slowly looked down at the six soldiers with guns on me, and I felt Alexei grab my jacket behind me. I noticed the clothes of these soldiers were different from the ones I'd shot down earlier, and they didn't shoot on sight, which was a good sign. Normally, I'd be able to get out of this situation with ease, but I didn't want Alexei to be caught in any of the cross fire. So, I decided to take a gamble, and comply.

I slowly lowered my gun to the ground, and put my hands up in surrender. The man watched me from behind his gun, his eyes brushing over the boy behind me before narrowing back on me. "Who are you?" His voice was hard, and his black hair slicked back with a strand threatening to fall.