To Face a Friend

That evening, I had a new room situated for myself. Emiya had come down to the common area to eat, keeping a respectable distance from me yet a watchful eye on me. Staying silent, he seemed alert for anything I might need, and made sure to let me know when he left. It surprised me a bit; for how bitter he had been towards swearing me his service, he was quite serious when taking up the role.

When going to bed that night, I huffed a sigh at the fact Emiya wasn't beside me. At least he stayed. The thought warmed my chest, and warded off any troubles my mind might have, allowing me to fall asleep quickly.

***

I left Cu in the inn's common room that night, not because I was tired, but because I wanted some peace and quiet. I needed to spend some time away from Cu. Closing the door to my room, I exhaled a heavy breath. The small murmur of sound from downstairs penetrated the floorboards, but I let it fall distant in my mind. Rubbing the bridge of my nose, I let my jacket disappear, as I dealt with my ever pressing thoughts.

Why, why did I let him talk me into staying? I should've just walked out after I pinned him down. Though... he did have a point about the accessibility he'd grant me, but I don't think that was the factor that changed my mind. I'm not sure it was even the promise and my debt, it was the fact that he desperately wanted me to stay. It isn't often that I hear Cu desperate, which made it a shock when I saw him helpless just a few hours ago. For some reason, he truly wanted me to stay. It was nice to imagine what those reasons might be.

I fell onto the bed, breathing in the faint scent lingering off the pillow. Anytime I heard a creak outside my door, my ears instinctively perked up, hoping against reason that it would be Cu walking through the door.

***

Upon waking the next morning, it startled me to find Emiya sitting on a chair a few feet from my bed. One of his arms draped along the chair back, a leg propped on his knee, and face seemingly fixed on nothing in particular, his poster was relaxed yet alert. I noticed food laid out on the nightstand.

"Finally decided to wake up?" He spoke without looking at me.

"You make it sound as if you've been waiting. It's a little strange to be sitting there watching someone sleep."

"What makes you think I was watching you?" Emiya's voice was steady, his gaze hard, but it was the little touch of pink at the tips of his ears that gave him away; at some point, he'd been watching me. I shook my head softly. For the hard mask he wears, it was much too easy to make him blush. Not that I don't like it; his blush is cute. What makes it even better is how little he seems to be aware of it.

"What's this? Breakfast?" I nudged at the bowl, and he finally turned his attention to me, then turned it back away with a shrug.

"Yes. You asked for my service, didn't you?"

Well, originally, I just wanted him to help with the war that appears to be starting. But if he wants to do this, I won't object. Taking the bowl, I dipped my spoon in and ate a bite. I froze after the first bite. What is this? This is good, too good for the inn. Where did he get it? "Emiya, where did you get this food?"

"The kitchen downstairs. Why? Do you not like it?"

"Oh, goodness no, this is delicious!" A small smirk formed on his mouth. "And you said you only got this from downstairs?" I said in between bites.

"That is correct."

"Well then, they must be doing something different down there." I glanced at Emiya, "Did you get some?"