Deep Thoughts

I tapped my foot on the ground staring at Cu's plate. He was taking longer than anticipated. What exactly is he doing in there? With a glance over my shoulder, I saw he was nowhere in sight. I turned back laughing to myself. Have I really become so clingy? Leaning forward, I let my cheek rest on my fist. "Can't even spend ten minutes without him? Honestly, what's wrong with me?" I've become too comfortable in this life, it'll be difficult to leave. Cu and I not enemies, no Holy Grail War to fight, no master to focus on, just the two of us. It's been nice. I couldn't help but imagine what it'll be like going back. We certainly wouldn't have as much time together, we'd have to fight each other too. Occasionally we'd even have to... My stomach twisted at the thought, harsh memories forcing their way into my mind, sending the place into panic. The memory of my blades sinking into Cu's flesh, red dying his armor. When I go back, even with our relationship, that won't change; not with the Holy Grail War. As long as our fates are tied together, we're destined to be enemies. A chill took my body, my throat stiff and ready to puke. Closing my eyes, I inhaled steady deep breaths, trying to get my mind to empty, for my shell to come up. No matter how hard I tried, I couldn't become indifferent, not with Cu. The image of Cu's lifeless body was imprinted onto my eyelids, taunting me. I opened my eyes, my chest tightening with panic. Calm down, calm down, calm down... I chanted to myself, but it was no use.

A thought slid into my mind, calm and collected. At least he'll be with me. I won't be alone. It took me by surprise, but seemed to bring down my stress. No matter what happens in those wars, he'll always be there, like he always has. I can't lose him. My body relaxed, deep breaths settling my stomach. It will be alright. Sometimes I lie to myself, to convince myself of a truth separate from my reality, detaching myself; but this wasn't a lie. The words rang clear and true to me. I had Cu, and that fact alone was enough to make things okay.

The rustle of grass pulled me away from my thoughts, Cu was there walking towards me. My body acted without first consulting my mind, standing up to meet him. He opened his mouth to say some praising, flirtatious, or snarky comment, but I never let him. Instead, I cut him off by pulling him into a tight hug. His hands moved naturally around me, pulling me just as close, as if he somehow knew what I was thinking. As if he was somehow thinking the same. I felt him press a small kiss against my neck, and closed my eyes, breathing in his scent. Yes, this was all I needed. With this, I could be happy. I smiled into him, content with nothing more than to have him in my life, and with that, I'd be okay.

When I pulled away, Cu was smiling, not joyfully, but for comfort. His thumbs brushed across my cheeks, removing my unshameful tears. "What is it, Emiya?"

"I'm just happy to see you."

"I know you missed me, but I wasn't gone that long."

With a chuckle, I tugged his hand, pulling him towards the table. "Just come and eat." After giving me a sideways glance, he did as I asked, and happily so. While he ate, I watched him, unable to contain my grin. Cu periodically gave me curious glances, then swallowed his last bite of food, chuckling nervously.

"Seriously, what's up with you? You're acting like a love sick puppy."

"Oh, so I'm acting like you?"

He flicked me in the forehead, but my smile just broadened as I pulled myself closer, propping my chin onto his shoulder. His expression went tight as I did so, and his hand barricaded my face. "S-stop! Have you no sympathy for my poor heart?"

I nuzzled my head into his hand next. Right after, I was being whisked away into the forest by Cu. He pinned me against a tree, dead serious eyes and a slight blush in his cheeks. "Explain," was all he said.