Warmth

His image was blurred at first, but I could make out that blue hair and red eyes anywhere. My vision began to focus, and some reason began to flow into my brain (but not alot). "Cu, how are you here? Is this somehow a Grail War?" I realized he was holding my head in his arm, and this fact successfully managed to pull me from my thoughts. I rested my cheek on his bicep enjoying the heat coming from him. "Nevermind about that right now..." I looked over his face, and I found something I didn't expect or want to see. Indifference. It had been a long time since he'd given me an expression like that. Whether it's hate or care, amusement or annoyance, his face always held emotion when it came to me. But this one was drained of emotion, as if he felt nothing when he looked at me. There was a pit in my stomach, and I went stiff, taking my cheek from his arm. "It might seem strange of me to ask, but I could use your help, Cu." When he stayed quiet, I could tell he was just being stubborn. "Alright, I'll owe you one." He was still silent, and I was reminded of why I always hated him. "I'll do whatever you want. Is that what you need to hear?"

"I'm sorry," he finally spoke, "Can you stand?"

"I don't think so." I answered honestly. Without warning, Cu slid his arms underneath me, holding me to his chest as he stood up.

"Cu!" I said definitely.

"You said you couldn't stand." He justified in the familiar tone of amusement.

I sighed, not wanting to fight him, and avenge my own embarrassment. So I took the far more pleasant route of resting against his chest. I wrapped my lifeless hands in his cloak, seeking it's warmth.

It was nice of Cu to help me, instead of killing me on the spot. Though I guess Cu never liked to fight that way. He never fought me, unless I was strong and ready. I guess it was one of the perks of our strange relationship. Hmm...our relationship...

I looked up at Cu, his face focused forward. Then I realized he was helping me up on a-- a horse? I was sitting on the animal, very confused. But when Cu slid behind me, he quickly replaced those thoughts. He wrapped his cloak around me as well, and I enjoyed having his heat pressed against my back. I was so cold, every touch of warmth felt like a fire. And when Cu put a hand on my stomach to keep me tight to him, I couldn't help but smile. His hand reminded me of the last time we saw each other, and I recalled the way it felt to hold his hand. It was such a small and simple act then, and I wanted to feel it again. I deeply considered it for a moment, and given that I was half out of it right now, sending reason out the window, I went for it.

My fingers brushed the skin of his hand, warmth popping on their tips. Then I allowed them to trace his fingers, before settling in between them, allowing me to squeeze his hand with what little strength I had at the moment. This pushed my courage further as I tucked my forehead into his neck, seeking even more warmth, and trying to gain some coverage from the harsh wind.

I expected him to say something, comment on my actions, but he stayed silent. He was a little too quiet. "You're being uncharacteristically quiet. I don't think I've ever seen you this still and quiet." When he never said anything in response, I peeked an eye open at him. He was staring down at me, eyebrows furrowed. I untucked my head from his neck, straightening up. Looking away, I spoke again while he stayed silent. "Is something wrong, Cu?"

After a moment of curiously staring at me, he chuckled then rested his chin on my shoulder without a word. His laughing vibrated my back, and his cheek brushed against mine. I was secretly delighted by the small movements.

Sighing, I leaned back against him, closing my eyes. "You are being stranger than normal today, and that's saying something."

The silence set in again, and it seemed to make the cold and pain stand out. Cu always had something to say, it was frustrating me that he didn't have anything to say now. Maybe I should talk to him, just something to fill the space. Shivering against his chest, I thought about something to say, what I wanted to say. Thanking Cu isn't something I'd usually do, but I wanted to this time. Opening my eyes, I looked at him through wet bangs. He was looking at me too, but his eyes quickly moved away once I opened mine. I don't know why, but this made me nervous, making the words more difficult to form my words.