Chapter 2: A rich playboy

Hey guyss, here's a super quick next chapter. Sorry if it's a little awkward, my mind went blank for a second. Enjoy!

"Godamn, pass the ball to Peirce, Jerkins! Are you blind?!"

Coach was screaming at us as usual, but I'm pretty sure he was trying to kill us today. After making us run ten rounds around the court, german drills, and layup shots, he made us play a match. My teammate of course, was a complete idiot and just kept trying to hog the ball to herself, dribbling towards the basket even though she had like three people fronting her.

Of course, Avery on the other team easily intercepts her and I see my chance. We all run back and I move in on her. She tries to fake but I anticipate it and cleanly snatch the ball away from her. It was so quick, almost no one else saw it coming. I ran as fast as I could, dribbled down the court and shot easily before anyone else even noticed. I fought back a smile, trying not to look too pleased with myself.

Coach blew the whistle. "Great job Peirce! That's what this team needs!" He grabbed my wrist and hoisted my arm up into the air like I'd just won a wrestling match. "Listen to this girl y'all!"

"Thanks coach."

All my teammates surrounded me and high-fived me. Even the girls on the other team came over and said it was a good game. I walked back to the bleachers and sat down feeling great. I took out my water bottle and slowly drank from it.

"Whoo-hoo! That's my boy, way to go Hunter!"

"You the man Shawn!"

"Heck yeah!"

I rolled my eyes as I turned towards the adjoining court where the boys were also winding up their practice. A bunch of sweaty teenage boys filled with testosterone, running around pushing each other. I'm surprised all high school sports aren't a complete train wreck at this point.

I love basketball with all my life. Ever since that one game with my dad when I was five years old, I've been hooked. The adrenaline rush you feel on the court, the shoes squeaking and the net swishing, gave me a different kind of feeling I can't even describe. Making varsity sophomore year was awesome.

I snapped back to reality when I realised I was staring at the boys' team. Yikes.

"All right, before you run off to the locker rooms, everyone huddle up!" Coach called out. I jogged over to stand in front of him with the rest of the team.

"Coach William and I decided to start a new regime. We're going to start doing a combined practice between boys and girls once a week every Friday. We think it would be good for you all, learn a little something from each other. More importantly, we're going to show those boys whose boss."

We all smirked at this, giving each other fist bumps. It was in moments like this I loved Coach Dixon's attitude. He really was pretty cool when he wasn't trying to kill us.