Chapter 25: The down low

"Hey! You do realize you're creating a mess, right? And wasting precious yogurt."

"Oops."

Asher dabbed the yogurt on my nose and I whacked him with a spoon. We were cleaning up the shop for closing time, and it was just the two of us again. Instead of cleaning up the place, we just ended up making it messier. Asher splat some yogurt on my mouth this time and I groaned, turning around to take a napkin and clean myself up. Before I could though, he grabbed my hand, whirling me around and actually kissing me on the lips, licking the yogurt off it. I stared at him.

He shrugged sheepishly. "Sorry. I couldn't resist."

I rolled my eyes and started cleaning up the place, while Asher just stood there fiddling with the marshmallows. "Are you going to help me?"

"You know you still didn't respond to my text. It was days ago."

"Well, I said I'd think about it."

"Are you done thinking?"

I smirked, turning towards him with my arms folded. "That depends."

"Depends on what?"

"If you'll let me take some frozen yogurt for free."

He laughed and clearly looked relieved, shrugging and putting some yogurt into a takeout container and putting in in front of me. "Don't tell the manager."

I picked it up gladly. "Of course not."

"So, will you be my girlfriend?" He asked me again. I honestly wasn't sure about the answer. There were a bunch of factors I had to consider. How would this relationship work? What if the manager found out? I could get fired. So far, I'd been slipping some of the cash I earned into my mom's purse little at a time so she wouldn't notice. It had helped us a bit, I'd even bought dinner for Nick plenty of times. I couldn't risk that. But at the same time, I actually enjoyed being with Asher. It was comfortable and fun. I don't want to ruin that and make everything all awkward between us.

"Hm, as long as we keep this on the down low. If anyone finds out we're dead."

His face broke into the biggest smile and he hugged me, his eyes glinting. "Yes! My dreams have come true!"

"Shut up and help me clean up, surfer boy."

He was surprisingly efficient after that, and we finished up with everything in the next ten minutes. We walked out together, and he locked the shop behind him. It was around nine at night, and I'd told my mom that I was at Megan's house. I just hoped she wouldn't call her or something.

"Want me to walk you home?"

"Wow, someone's being chivalrous."

"Well, I try."

I smiled at Asher and he intertwined my hand with his. Part of me wanted to pull away, but I didn't. This is what boyfriends and girlfriends do right? I didn't really like touching people but this was still bearable.

We reached my house soon enough and I thanked Asher, giving him a small peck on the cheek and walked up the path to my door. Today was not a bad day. I was ahead on all my homework and there were no current tests to study for, so life was great.

I took my keys out of my pocket and opened the door, stepping inside and dumping my bag on the stand next to me.

Then I stepped right into utter chaos.

*************************

"What the hell is wrong with you?!"

"What's wrong with me? What's wrong with you?!"