Chapter 33: The lake house pt. 1

"Cancelled?! What the hell, why?"

"Apparently they have some fungus problem in the cabins. So, looks like the school trip is over."

"Aw, man. I was so looking forward to it."

Megan, Tyler, Ezra and I were in the cafeteria eating lunch together. New year was over and school had resumed. Stacy had gotten out of the hospital and she looked much better, although she wouldn't be able to play in the semi final game after the trip to the woods, which had now been cancelled according to Ezra. The second we retuned; Coach had been training us to the bone. If we make it to the finals, there are most definitely college recruiters coming. The very thought of it made me nervous with sweat.

Veronica walked over and sat down next to us, and Tyler told her the news. She didn't seem fazed though.

"We weren't going to stay in the cabins anyway. How about this, I've already planned everything out with my parents and gotten the keys. How about we just go on our own?"

"That's a great idea!"

"I'm in."

"Hell, it might even be more fun now, since we don't have to stick to the school's schedule."

Shawn walked into the cafeteria and took his lunch, laughing with Brad and Andrew. I watched as the rest of the basketball team called them over, so he went to sit down with them.

I hadn't spoken to him since new year, since I had no clue what to even say to him. He hadn't bothered to text me either, which both pissed me off and made me thankful. I'd received great presents from all of my friends for my birthday, except for Shawn. Not that I wanted him to get me one, I was just curious.

He hadn't even looked at me since he kissed me on the roof and went back inside the house, leaving me sitting there and gaping at nothing. Why the heck had he done that?

I convinced myself not to obsess over it. Shawn Hunter was a major player and nothing more. He was trying to mess with me and I wasn't going to let him inside my head.

Days passed, and soon enough we were packed and ready to leave for the trip. Since the six of us couldn't fit in one car with all our luggage, Megan, Ezra and I were going to be in one car, while Veronica, Tyler and Shawn were in the other.

While everyone stuffed their bags in the trunks of the two cars, Megan randomly pulled me off to the side. "Hey? What's going on between you and Shawn?"

I nearly choked on air when she said that. "Shawn and I? What are you talking about?"

"You guys haven't even looked at each other since the new year party at Ronnie's house. Also, I've been meaning to ask, where the hell were you during the countdown? I was looking for you."

"Erm, I was... watching the fireworks."

She raised her eyebrows and scoffed, crossing her arms with an expression that said she didn't believe me. I mean, technically I wasn't lying.

"By yourself?"

"Fine, with Shawn."

She yelped loudly and everyone turned around to look at her in confusion. Unbothered, she just pulled me further away, her face in a full freak out.

"You were with him at midnight? What, did you guys' kiss or something?"

"What?! No." I lied.

She frowned in disappointment and rolled her eyes. "I'm so going to get you two together."

"Fat chance."

"I saw you guys dancing that night. It was very interesting."

Veronica called us over and we were ready to go. Ezra was driving and just followed behind Veronica's car for the next few hours. I was asleep most of the time, since the couple in front was being all cringe and annoying. I love those two, but guys seriously. I wonder how Shawn's doing; third wheeling Tyler and Veronica.