Chapter 42: The next morning

Yeah it's been a while. I'm sure all my readers have vanished by now but oh well I'm gonna do this anyway. Enjoy!

I woke up the next morning with the worst hangover of my life.

I groaned as I grabbed a pillow and put it over my face, to stop the bright annoying rays of sunlight from coming through. Ugh, its only going to get hotter and sunnier as summer approaches.

I had barely put my right foot down on the floor before my head started to ring. I grabbed it tenderly, cursing as I made my way over to the bathroom. I suddenly felt sick to my stomach as the contents of yesterdays drinks came out, as I threw up until I couldn't anymore.

I sighed, resting my forehead against the porcelain sink, which gave my headache a temporary reprieve. I had to force myself off the cool tiles and get into the shower, letting the hot water cascade down my shoulders, washing away last night's horrors.

What the actual hell even happened last night?

I wracked my brain as I tried to recall its events. The more I remembered, the more horrified I got. Good lord, what had I done?

I'd basically gone to second base with Shawn Hunter last night, in an entirely drunken state. Then I yelled at him for it and ran away. God, I was such a mess.

I got out of the shower, groggily drying myself and slipping on grey sweatpants and an oversized hoodie. It was horrible as I trudged down the stairs, the cold daunting lull of school calling out my name. I gulped down a pill to help with my headache, as well as a huge cup of coffee. I grabbed my backpack from the chair and took out a granola bar from the cabinet, walking out the door to go to school. No one was around the house anyway. My mom's car wasn't in the driveway either, so I guess I was taking the subway. Riding the crowded, noisy subway with this hangover was going to be the death of me.

After a hellish twenty minutes, I dragged myself into the school hallways just in time. I managed to make it to my first class right before Mr. Jones walked in.

"Good morning, everyone. Today we're going to be starting a new lesson. Oh, also I wanted to remind you all that your group projects are due in four weeks, right after your finals. Don't be late! Now..."

Damn. My project with Shawn was due soon. Thank god we were finished with it. Although now that I think about it, my part seemed pretty dry and lame. I was going to have to clean it up a bit.

Once class was over, I tried to look around for him so I could apologize, but I didn't spot him anywhere. I did run into Veronica though. I asked her if she knew where he was but she informed me that she hadn't seen him since the party either. I was feeling a little better physically now, despite it all.

He hadn't sat with us during lunch either, so I was starting to get a little worried. I hadn't scared him off, had I?

Once the day was over, I checked in with Andrew and he told me Shawn hadn't showed up to school at all today. Cursing my stupidity, I went over to his house to see what was up. However, just as I reached the front gate, I halted in my tracks.

There was another car in the driveway.

Shawn's dad's car.

Shit.

I quickly skirted aside as I saw his dad walk out of the house, while a driver brought the car around for him to get in. He got into the back and drove off, the yard now empty once again.

I literally jogged up to the house, ringing the doorbell. No answer. I tried again, still no answer. I pulled down on the handle to find that it was unlocked. I slowly stepped inside. "Shawn?" I called.