Chapter 39: Bits and pieces

I stayed over at Shawn's place the night of the party, since I figured I would need to help the dummy the next day. We also happened to have basketball practice Saturday morning, so he was pretty much screwed either way. Luckily, I had spare clothes for basketball in my car. I managed to wake up at six am, walking out of the guest room and towards Shawn's room. The house was a complete and utter mess, with cups, bowls and wrappers everywhere. I could even see random pieces of forgotten clothing and random spills of liquor and food. Ugh.

I opened the door quietly, since he was still asleep. I prodded him. "Morning sunshine." I chided, as he groaned and held his head in his hands. "Time to wake up."

"Ugh, what time is it?"

"Six in the morning."

"Seriously? Leave me alone and let me sleep."

"I would, except we have practice in an hour. So, get your ass up."

His eyes widened as he realized, shooting up to a sitting position, only to immediately wince and hold his head. "I'm too hungover for this."

I found a towel slung over his chair and threw it at him. "Go take a shower. I'll drive us to practice today. Then get your ass downstairs."

I left the room and went back down, going into the kitchen to see if I could find some sort of breakfast to eat. I found frozen waffles in the freezer, so I just made those. I also managed to figure out how to use Shawn's coffee pot, and made some of that as well. I was just done making the waffles, when I heard someone groan and stumble out from behind the couches in the living room.

A dishevelled Veronica came out, her hair a mess. Despite all that she still didn't look that bad, not to mention extremely hungover.

"Ronnie? What are you doing here?"

"Huh? Oh, Alex hey. I dunno... I guess I must have passed out..."

I rolled my eyes and poured her a cup of coffee while she plopped down on the kitchen island. "What the hell happened last night?"

"I have no idea; I didn't see you at all."

"Where's Tyler?"

"Didn't see him either."

She groaned and put her head on the white marble, saying that it soothed her headache. I managed to get her to eat something and have some coffee, and she felt better after that. Shawn came down after a bit, wearing basketball shorts and a random Nike shirt.

"Morning." I told him, placing a cup of coffee in front of him as he sat down. He didn't seem the least bit surprised to see Veronica. He hadn't bothered to comb is hair either, and didn't look at all like he could play. I guess I was stuck taking care of these two.

After another twenty minutes and two cups of coffee, I managed to get Shawn on his feet to leave for practice. His house was around ten minutes from school by car, so we got going.

He sat in the shotgun seat, while I drove silently. Neither of us made any indication to say anything. I wasn't even sure if Shawn remembered what had happened last night. It had gotten pretty weird, and only confused the heck out of me. There was no point denying it, some part of me was definitely attracted to Shawn. Like the Shawn Hunter. The one with a reputation for playing around with women. Me and him as a thing? Good lord.

Finally, after five minutes, I decided to speak. "So um, Shawn. Do you have any recollection of last night?"

He thought for a second and then spoke. "Kinda... I mean it keeps coming to me in bits and pieces."

"Um, okay."

Neither of us said anything again, and we reached school. I parked the car in the parking lot, and we both headed up the steps together. We managed to reach practice just in time, as everyone had started to warm up. I dumped my stuff in the locker room and made my way onto the court, smiling at Stacy, who was now in recovery. She seemed to be doing a lot better now.