1: Scared

My boring brown-eyes fluttered open when I heard a huge splash, as though something had fallen into the lake. In the dark corner of the lakeside, my eyes caught something— a glowing blue jade pendant.

In this era, jewelry is not just a symbol of wealth, it also a marking of social status and personal identity.

In ancient China, jade represented grace and dignity; strength and elegance; virtue and honor. And in the Du Empire, the color blue was reserved only and exclusively used by the Emperor and the entire royal family.

My personal attendant Abao assisted me to stand. I walked in my normal pace until I reached the other side.

Bending down to grabbed the familiar jìnbù (*jade pendant), I took a closer look; it was shaped and carved with exquisite patterns as what I remember. It must've took a tremendous skill and years and years of training to achieve such delicate carvings.

"Your Highness, should we.."

Eunuch Nu hastily ran to my side. He first saluted, "Greetings to Her Highness Princess of Laoyang."

I transmigrated to a web novel titled "Empress and I". It's a lovestory between a lowly servant's daughter, Jiao Zhen and the crown prince of the Du Empire, Du Kai.

One night, a voice came into my dreams; "Play your role well. Then die in Li Cha's death day. That's the only way you can go back to your world."

I was like, "..."

I am originally an orphan.

Back in the modern world, I have no money. No savings. And I don't even have a stable job. Do you know how expensive things nowadays? The pile of debts are all on my back chasing me. Even though I'm just living in small room like a mouse. Those people won't let me go.

'Bro, don't ask me about what I eat everyday— yeah, it's the long red thing called hotdog.'

I am now the seventh princess of the Li Empire. Princess okay. I am not just a commoner or a slave. I am a beautiful princess.

'Bro, seriously?'

Why should I throw my title as a princess and choose to go back to the modern world as a slave of the society? I'm not crazy to toss the golden egg that was placed in my lap.

'Villainess? No worries.'

I read a transmigration stories before. I plan to follow her footsteps— avoiding the death route.

For years, I helped the main protagonists in every way I can. Letting them know my so good character. Building my good reputations for years, left and right.

I showed the main characters that I am no threat. I don't want to give our beloved protagonists any reason for them to kill me. I won't become the villainess that they need to get rid of.

Even though my heart ached every time I ordered Abao to donate 'my' money to orphanages and hospitals. And almost vomit blood in my bed every time I saw 'my' treasures being taken away just to help the the main characters.

Yeah, I lived a good citizen life. I almost saw myself as a saint you know.

'Bro, I almost thought there would be an angel-like wings sprouting from my back.'

I somehow changed myself even though it's hard. I smiled even though it's tiring. I forced myself to be sad whenever the male lead cried just to show him my sympathetic feelings.

I persevered for years despite all the obstacles. I've been through a lot. I stopped the war. Freed the male lead from the grand empress dowager's clutch. I even search for a solution about the issue of starvation and drought in the Du empire.

I planned to fulfill the happy ending of the main characters just like in the novel. Anyway, I helped.. a lot and I thought, the protagonists would be grateful to me.

But in the end..

*sulk in a corner* I unfortunately still didn't escape the death route.

"The seventh princess died."

"Her Royal Highness the Crown Princess was assassinated."

I was murdered.

I sighed. 'Bro, I'm telling you this from experience okay
— Villains are really destined to die. So sad, right?'

I squinted my eyes and suspiciously observed my surroundings. The palace maids, eunuchs and royal guards were all looking to a particular spot. The beautiful moonlight was reflected into the calm lake.

"Your Highness, Her Majesty the Empress is now on her way to Changchun Palace to visit the Crown Prince. We should.."

I heard more people coming from afar. I gritted my teeth thinking; this is not a good sign. There are a lot of people in here meaning— too many witnesses.

"Ahhh! Your Highness!"

Raising my arms over my head, I jump into the lake; I plunged head first.

"Your Highness!"

Holding my breath under the water, I searched for that person. I swam near him, noticing his eyes closed, his lips pursed and his eyebrows creased.

I sighed; it means he's still conscious. Even though the cold water was completely quiet, the thundering of my heart was disturbingly loud.

Strange.

I grabbed his small body, swam forward to the edge of the lake then quickly raised him up. The panicking servants tried to help but I told them to back off. I gently placed the male lead on the ground.

Slowly, the nine-years old boy opened his eyes. Once again, my soul was engulfed by those set of electric blue eyes.

'Yow, I almost died.'

They reminds of the cloudless sky and the ocean in the afternoon, yet his eyes.. were also miraculously bright at night.

"I'm s-scared."

His small figure was overlapping with the shy teenager prince in my memory. My sinful eyes stared at his fragile frame while the soft sound of his breathing also attracted my ears, pulling my lips closer to his cheeks.

I sighed.

Villains? No matter what they do, no matter how they want to change themselves, in the end, the fact— that they're the villlain.. will slap them in the face.

Who would've thought I'd be lucky to be reincarnated in the same novel world? The same villainess body and with the same fvcking enemies?