8: Fearless

Here he comes!

Get ready to shed some tears for our black-masked second male lead!

In Chinese novels, the second male lead is either the friend, the brother or the villain itself. Well, this time, I appreciate the bloody author's thoughtfulness for choosing the first one.

'Oh man!'

If it's the brother, it just feel so freaking wrong.

Just because two people are brothers, that doesn't mean they have a lot in common and have the same taste in a woman.

Siblings who fall in love with the same woman feels so damn wrong, man! I hate those cruel authors.

"Oh my. Captain Hao, what.. a surprise?" I put my evil smile; taunting the swoon-worthy second male lead.

Hao Ran was orphaned at the age of five. Then he was taken to the Duke household and became one of the student of the Duke of Yulan, Tao Mu— the brother of the Empress Tao Che; one of the strongest supporter of the male lead.

Under the guidance of the Duke, Hao Ran was taught different military skills. He also learned the nature of politics. At young age, he understood warfare better than most of all of his peers. Using his marvelous ideas and meticulous strategies; the teenager learned to win battles and defeat his enemies in one full sweep.

Indeed, this secondary character overshadowed the first male lead; successfully robbed the leading man his spotlight.

Compared to the *useless male lead, the *friend zoned second male lead is the perfect definition of an honorable and reliable man.

Excellent and loyal. Courageous and heroic. Clever and brave.

In the novel, he spent his entire life assisting and supporting the Crown Prince. Such righteous and passionate character; stealing thousand hearts of readers everywhere.

"Aren't you supposed to be in Yulan? Hmn. I heard the palace expected you to be back in.. another two to three days."

When I noticed how the Captain looked at my precious finger; like he couldn't wait to cut it off.. this gràndma's soul.. just flew out of her mortal body.

'Good lord! Young man, why so scary?' Choking; I hastily pried my finger out from the male lead's grasp.

Currently, Hao Ran is just sixteen years old.

This fine-looking young man voluntarily entered the battlefield with his own two feet with nothing else but only vain hope. That the true heir, His Royal Highness the Crown Prince will someday sit on the dragon throne; fulfill his destiny and bring the whole empire to its highest peak.

Aside from that, Hao Ran will become the safety net of the Warrior Empress. This person would always be there for Jiao Zhen; he will save the female protagonist multiple times in the original novel but never confessed his love to her until his death.

His unrequited love made the reader's hearts ached for him; where the comment section was filled with "Hao Ran deserved better".

As soon as this 'perfect and loving second male lead who never got to be with the female lead' made his humble appearance, the cute kitten woke up from his deep slumber. Laying in bed, the male lead didn't make a sound; he didn't even move.

Kai only quietly stared at my fairy-face; totally ignoring the masked boy.

"You're early, Captain." I said.

"The Duke of Yulan heard about the assassination attempt. His Highness sent me here to investigate and protect the Tāizí." (*Crown Prince/Supreme Son)

Putting the loose strand of hair behind my ear, I added with arrogance: "Protect? Protect from whom?"

"Oh my. From me?"

I spoke slowly. So coquettishly. "Such fierce accusation, Captain."

I now knowledgeably aware of the hatred that Hao Ran had towards me.

He abhorred my every form. It doesn't matter if its the good Li Cha or bad Li Cha. It doesn't matter if its the saint or  the villainess Li Cha.

'Because it's me.'

The disdain in his dark eyes that he could never supress. The rude expression of contempt and hostility that he could never hide behind his symbolic black mask.

Hao Ran loathed my existence.

I don't understand his unreasonable dislike. His negative attitude towards this princess. He's such a difficult person to pleased.

I hate those exceptionally dark eyes. Those eyes that witnessed my death.

Huh.

My death..

At that moment, I felt life had played a joke at my expense. Ahg! It was much worse than being scolded and chased by Mom with her glorious broomstick; waking the entire neighborhood with my scream of help.

(。•́-ก̀ 。)! What did this octopus do to deserve this fate?

'In my last life, why are you still involved in my assassination?'

'Hao Ran, I treated you sincerely. I trusted you more than anyone else. I thought we were friends, a family.'

It was just like what written in the novel; in the end, he still killed me.

If only I can ask him now..

'Why? Why did you still betray me? What are those years for you? Hao Ran, don't I mean anything to you?'

'Do you really.. hate me that much? That you'd wish nothing but my death?'

The memory of my tragic and untimely demise in my last life made me want to curl myself and just cry under my bedcover.

'You! You unfilial boy!'

What did this grāndma ever do to him?

'You ungrateful punk!'

Before I could speak and beg for my life or even before I could curse you and your ancestors; I felt the dagger sink into my flesh. In a split second, the assassin ruthlessly took my poor soul to meet King Yama.

I hate those exceptionally dark eyes.

Because those eyes which seemed to have seen the bloody reality of war.. were the last things I remembered before drewing my last breath in my first transmigration.

'For him, I am just a vile person that he needs to kill.'

"Oh my dear Captain, how.. bold of you?"

In flash, something flew straight towards the Captain. Slightly grazed by the hairpin; I watched the blood trickled down his neck. It was the same hairpin that killed the two place maids last night.

"Strong and fearless."

"Hmm. Since.. you still have your head." I giggled.