19: Wishful

"The royal heir."

In my first transmigration, Kai and I lived in harmony as husband and wife; so for years, I was pressured so much by the court with the topic of the 'royal heir' to the point that every night, there were twelve kittens (yes, I counted) running around inside my nightmares.

It's karma.

But it's confusing. I am the villainess now. Why would Kai still mentioned about the royal heir in this lifetime?

Is it because I kissed the female lead?

My dear late parents must be laughing at my karma this time. Since in preparation for the *accidental-kiss-scene, I tampered the stool that Jiao Zhen used in the library and who would have thought that the unexpected outcome would nearly took half of my soul?

"I want a baby."

Once the future Warrior Empress and the *friendzoned second male lead heard about this, I'm sure they would start sharpening their swords out in anger.

To ease the awkward silence, I used my creepy maleficient-laugh. I started fake laughing like I never laugh all my life.

*AHAHAHA*AHOHO*AHAHAHA

Oh dear ancestors! Du Kai must be challenging my acting skills today. My eyes squinted. Then, let him witness my greatness!

After a while, my laughter made an abrupt stopped. I stared at the male lead; fixedly, coldly and full of disgust.

Taking my hands from his: "I'll act like I never heard such nonsense from you today."

"This is the end of my patience, Your Royal Highness."

Hearing this, Kai simply lowered his watery eyes, seemingly concealing his hurt expression.

I gulped; inside, feeling a little guilty and funny. He's fifteen and wanted a child. In this era, it's normal.

Honestly, I kinda felt apologetic to the male lead because with my 20th century mindset, it's really unacceptable. In my eyes, my so-called royal husband is still a kid.

Yo! How could the kitty say those words while looking at me with his innocent eyes as if he's only asking for a fish?

That night, I had another long nightmare. I could see clearly the person's expression in the dream. His ocean eyes were heavy and reluctant. "You.."

"You must come back. The night of the full moon in the next two months. On your birthday, promise me, you'll come back."

He gritted his teeth when I only stared at him wordlessly. Impatient, he added: "Li Cha, this is a royal command."

"You're not lying, are you? Li Cha.. Tell me, you're not visiting that shrine just because you want to evade the topic of the royal heir."

I sighed. "I heard from the duke that there lived a renowed shaman in that shrine. I told you about the nightmare– I saw someone holding a bloody sword while the empire was burning behind that person. It's ominous. It really scared me. I want to consult her about this."

"You know that it's a capital crime to lie in front of the future emperor."

I heard myself giggling. Picking a strand, I assured the kitty: "Yes." As I placed a kiss on the tip of his long hair, I whispered: "Goodbye, my darling Kai."

The cute crown prince closed his eyes, as if my words were killing him. "Then I will postpone the coronation day. The entire empire shall wait for the Crown Princess's return."

His intoxicating voice sounded again. "I shall wait for you, my beloved."

The tiring journey took a month. The shrine located at the top of Muk hill. I struggled a lot during the climb. The stairs were steep and slippery. Tian Ming volunteered to carry me but I insisted to climb that cursed hill myself.

However after all the troubles, when I met the mysterious old female shaman named Wu Mian, she angrily pointed her finger at me: "He is not yours! You cannot fight for the things that don't belong to you."

Her voice was somewhat familiar. I think I heard it somewhere. *A long, long long time ago.

'Play your role well then die on Li Cha's death day. That's the only way you can go back to your world.'

"You.. I know you!"

I didn't ask her the reason why she sent me in this world.

"Are you.. going to send me back?" I questioned hesitantly. "But I don't want to go back. To that.. place."

Scared to my wits; my perfect dignified expression collapsed. "You don't understand. Even though, this is a turbulent times, where life and death is easy. I rather die here than be the orphan and bully Zhang Yu."

"I want to stay here, where my family and friends. This is my home. I am home."

As I tried to hardened my voice, my hands betrayed me as they trembled while gripping the side of my skirt. "And Kai.. My Kai is here."

Even though I already plan to leave him. I still want to stay in the world where he lives.

The thin and old sorceress sneered. "Him?"

Wu Mian raised her head, looking deeply at my scared self. "You made a mistake. You're not supposed to change anything. His world, his life or his destiny."

"For that, you'll pay the price."

"Silly girl. The orphan Zhang Yu do not belong here but the villainess Li Cha is."

My face was extremely pale.

"If you're not the villainess, if you insist being the real you.. then the novel will try to correct this world."

"You and the people you care will die horrible deaths than what it is written in the novel."

Horrible death? Her words felt like a curse.

"To restart the novel, this world will kill everyone."

Before I entered the carriage, planning to depart; I glanced at the smoke from afar.

It was coming from the burning shrine.

"I might not be the villainess Li Cha but I'm not a saint either." My boring brown-eyes were rigid and grave. "The novel can't make me. I won't go back, sorceress."

That was probably the biggest mistake I ever made in both lifetimes.

I thought I could changed my fate. My resistance was futile. People died because of my selfishness. Because of my greed. I really don't deserve the happy life.

The happy ending I wanted was completely just a wishful thinking.

Poor Zhang Yu. Orphan Zhang Yu.

Bully Zhang Yu. Greedy Zhang Yu.

Guilty and selfish Zhang Yu.

Truly a pity. Truly miserable.