5: Wind

I'm so terrible. I want to punch myself.

Did I just called the cute male lead a pet? Oh my dear ancestors, I must atone for my sin.

'Li Cha. You piece of crap!'

His eyes misted as he held back his tears. Sweet Du Kai's lips quivered. When he was about to speak, someone came in front of the door; interrupting him.

The servant saluted. Towing behind him was the familiar wrinkled evil eunuch from Zhongcui Palace. It was Eunuch Chiao— a cannon fodder from the Grand Empress Dowager camp. "Her Majesty the Grand Empress Dowager is inviting both the Princess and the Crown Prince for dinner to Zhongcui Palace."

'Dinner date with that old hag? Bah! No thanks.'

The last time I ate with her, I almost bit my tongue in anger. That nasty witch was so hateful.

For our beloved protagonists, in my last life, I blocked and fought the Grand Empress Dowager of her every schemes until my head started throbbing.

I still wonder to this day. At her freaking age of sixty, where did she get all that dark energy to scheme people?

'Ha.. That old hag..' I'm so tired of her wicked machinations.

If I have a wish dragon.. I'll surely wish for peaceful, rich and lazy life ah.

I watched how the blue eyes of the male lead shook upon hearing his great grandmother's invitation. This villainess just want to give him a hug of comfort but I can't.

'Sweet kitty. Be strong okay?'

When the palanquin stopped in front of Zhongcui palace gate, I put my hand on Abao's arm as I stepped down.

As I looked back, I heard my heart sighed again. Even with the help of his servants, little Du Kai was struggling to descend from his own palanquin. The kid appeared obviously shaken to the degree that he'd piss his pants any moment now. So pitiful.

It felt like a tiny cat was entering a spooky cage and inside, an old ferocious dog was waiting for our delicious prince, ready to pounce at him and tear him apart.

'Poor thing. This gràndma also hurts for you.'

We immediately bowed to salute the elder of the palace. "Greetings to Her Majesty the Grand Empress Dowager."

The old woman wears a green jade bracelet on her wrist. She waved her hand, smiling happily. "Rise Princess, Crown Prince."

After her son's death, Empress Dowager Xie became the Grand Empress Dowager and regent. She had the second prince— her grandson, Du Jing made emperor.

Emperor Du Jing was only a figurehead. The Grand Empress Dowager has the real power here. The Azure Dragon did not rule.

With her tremendous years in politics; with her military and diplomatic skills, the entire government was left to the hands of the male lead's great grandmother.

Xie Nu was crafty and cunning.

Funny enough, in a pretense of educating the Crown Prince, Xie Nu took the Tāizì (*supreme son) from the Empress's care. No one dared to opposed the old witch.

So that's how our sweet sweet male lead was put under the Grand Empress Dowager's guidance.

To put it frankly, Xie Nu had taken her own great grandson as hostage; who served as her assurance and protection against anyone who tries to bring her down. To control the emperor from rising his power in the court and prevent the Emperor from taking an active role in governance of its own empire.

"Your Majesty, this princess is very satisfied. Your grandson has the most beautiful face I've seen."

The Grand Empress Dowager laughed heartily. "That's great. Very good."

A glint of triumph lit her gaze as she turned towards his great grandson and said: "Kai'er, don't be rude. Serve the princess her tea."

After dinner, Xie Nu invited us for some tea; to catch up and enjoy the view of her garden.

I glanced at the silent and scaredy-cat by my side. He's like a mute. This octopus want to pat him. "Hmn. No worries Your Majesty. The Crown Prince can be taught and with this princess's help, he will learn quickly."

She laughed, seemingly satisfied. "I will leave the Tāizì to you, Princess. I know you won't disappoint me."

It was known to all, far and wide to the four warring states on how Princess Li Cha was doted upon heavily by Emperor Li Hai and her siblings, which contributed to her bratty princess attitude. Unruly and domineering.

Li Cha and Li Rui were biological siblings, the royal children of the late empress. The seventh princess of the Li Empire lived more extravagantly than any other living princesses in the palace.

In the original work, the seventh princess liked collecting beautiful things. She have one whole courtyard full of her glamorous collections. From paintings, intruments, fabrics, hair ornaments, pets and even people. From her guards to her palace maids, all were good-looking. Because the princess herself was also a belle. They said, her beauty transcends heaven.

'Being beautiful is a must for a villainess. Thumbs up!'

The timid Du Kai sat with us with his chin almost reaching his collar. Like a cute animal hiding in futile from its owner.

"One of the joyous and exciting events here in Du Empire is the upcoming Summer Solstice (*xià zhì)."

Right, the Summer Solstice plot. It is one of the important backstory of the male lead.

"Now thanks to the royal marriage alliance, the war between the two states has come to an end. The people are now happy and safe. The two nations are both growing and prospering."

It was written in the novel that Du Kai was nine years old when his childhood trauma happened. A trauma that he never fully recovered until the end of the story. It will happen during the one-day holiday on Summer Solstice.

"Isn't it exciting, Princess?"

In my first transmigration, I came too late and couldn't save the male lead in time.

Now in this life..

Now that I.. promised myself to the plot, I'm afraid I can't still save the kitty just like the first time.

"Yes, Your Majesty."

The thin bangs that grazed my eyebrows only softened more the features of this heavenly face.

Aware of the male lead's eyes and his cute habits of watching me, the corner of my mouth slid upwards.

As the strands of hair sat straight across my forehead was swept by the gentle wind, I answered:

"How.. exciting."